This and That
. . . being a wife! I loved being a wife and all that went along with it. Ok, so maybe I hated to clean, but I sure miss cooking and having dinner together. It is different with my parents. Last night I made cupcakes for my students . . . it was so much fun! The kids really enjoyed them and I enjoyed sending them back to their teachers on a sugar high! Check out my little turkeys . . .

. . . I always said that I wasn't going to be one of those parents that used the TV as a "babysitter" . . . well I am so guilty. There are two movies that Colin just loves to watch . . . Babe the Pig and Fox and the Hound . . . both are so sad. I was watching Babe for the first time and it is so cute but a little scary in the beginning. Every time he watches he starts screaming at the beginning . . . after watching I know why but does he really get what is going on? I just realized that I have neglected to post a new photo of Colin . . .
. . . he loves when you read to him and even "reads" on his own. I know that the reading specialist at my old school would be proud. He loves board books and his favorite is Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle. I can't get it out of my head!
. . . I went on a field trip with my cousin last week . . . it was probably my last! The kids were so loud and it was very unorganized. Maybe I was always a little too organized when we went on trips but then again when do 5th graders get to go on a study trip to Paris for a week! My former VES kids sure got to go on some amazing study trips . . . I wonder if they realize how lucky they were? If my students would have acted like some of these kids we would have walked out and gone back to school. It was hard for me to be a chaperone and not as the teacher. I found myself correcting inappropriate behavior but was afraid that the kid's parent was there and would yell at me . . . it has happened to me before! I really appreciated my old students and their behavior. When I arrived at the school, I expected to be "in charge" of a couple of kids but had zero responsibility . . . I sort of just tagged along. The actual field trip was pretty good . . . it was science related which you don't see much.
. . . have started working on Christmas Cards . . . they are very stressful for me now. Last year, I was getting a jump start when my world was turned upside down! I wanted to avoid the entire holiday season last year . . . Christmas, Colin's 1st Birthday, New Years . . . but one day I realized that it was not fair to Colin. Heck, I begged my mom to not even put up the Christmas tree. My life jumped to Colin being 18 and asking why there were no photos of his 1st Christmas or his 1st Birthday . . . I did not want that to happen so we put up the holiday decorations and went through the motions of being "happy". I am glad we did but I really don't remember much more than that. Colin was still too little to get it but the pictures sure are nice. This year will be different . . . never have I spent two holidays in a row without Sean . . . so the holiday cards are starting to come together . . . don't want to ruin the surprise but don't want you to think they are something magnificent. I wanted the message to be from the heart and still reflect Sean being in our lives . . . it was devastating last year to try and figure out how to sign the cards. It was too sad to write Heidi and Colin so decided to sign them from Colin. I think I am going to sign it from Heidi and Colin this year, but who knows my mind changes by the hour, but first we need a photo.
Gotta go rewind the movie . . . LOL!


4 Comments:
I love your cupcakes! It's so weird b/c I saw a picture of them last night as I was cutting coupons, so I cut the picture so I could remember how to make them! I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!
-roxanne
One of my son's favorite books was Brown Bear! He even learned to "read" it, meaning he had memorized it and could recite it page by page. How funny.
Buddy
Heidi, please know that I'm thankful to have you in my life too.
Heidi,
When I see your cupcakes I see your sense of play and I know you WILL make it. They are cute, Colin really needs a mommy like that and indeed he has one.
A lot of kids lately, like my grandchildren, seem to read very early and I think it has to do with the parents who read to them, sometimes even before they are born. They see it as an essential part of life and have the skills to do it for themselves at a very early age. Encourage it. Looks to me like he will be reading on his own by three, but for companionship keep reading with him even when he does it on his own. I can picture you two sitting in that same chair reading books. A beautiful picture in my mind.
Post a Comment
<< Home