Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Memories

It is that time of year when we start to really think about our family and friends. I recently ran across an article in a magazine called Real Simple that talked about getting to know your family. I have tried to remember, write, and preserve every possible memory of Sean for Colin but there are some things that I just don't know. Since the holiday season is quickly approaching, you might have some time to sit down and do this amazing questionnaire (I tried to post the link but you must be a subscriber to the magazine . . . if you want to see it; send me an email). It really got me to thinking . . . take the time to jot down some of your memories for people to enjoy in the future and probably share a laugh or two right now. What a great evening . . . sitting around with your loved ones telling silly stories . . . even if you have heard them a million times you can write it down for the future. I only wish I had the chance to do this with Sean. Heck, I have the L-2 buddies to tell me all the "Old Army" stories from the days at A&M . . . and the wives know we have all heard them a million times but we still laugh . . . right?

The questionnaire is divided into 6 main topics; childhood, work, love and family, you and me, you as you, and the kind of life you've lived . . . here is a sample of the questions . . .

1. What was your childhood home like? Neighborhood?
2. What were the happiest times of your childhood? Disappointments?
3. What was your first job? How did you get it?
4. What was the best job you ever had?
5. Which family vacation was your favorite?
6. Who in your family is most like you?
7. Is there anything you have never been able to ask me?
8. How are we similar? Different?
9. What were your favorite times with me?
10. Who knows you better than anyone?
11. What's the key to a great friendship?
12. Who makes you laugh the hardest?
13. What is the most amazing place you ever saw?
14. What are 5 things you can't live without?
15. What is the scariest thing you ever did? Bravest? Dumbest?
16. What were the best years of your life?
17. What traits/habits do you wish you did not have?
and last but not least . . .
What do you hope to be remembered for?
. . . I wonder what Sean would want to be remembered for? If those who know/knew Sean would like to send me your thoughts I would appreciate it!

5 Comments:

Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Oh, man, I would so love to ask my boyfriend many of those questions. Now I have to find a sneaky way to slip those into conversations, because he would never go for sitting down and answering them. That would be way to "cheesey" in his macho opinion...men, grrr. Thanks for posting those, I think I will have to pick up the magazine when I get to the states...tomorrow! Yay!

12/13/2005 11:17 AM  
Blogger texasbug said...

I think he would like to be remembered for his devotion to duty, honor & respect. I'm just guessing...

12/13/2005 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi, this one is too easy. I know for a fact he would want to be remembered for being a dedicated and loving husband and father. There is not a close second place answer to this question.

12/13/2005 11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi,
Thanks for sharing...would you have the rest of the questions? You never know when I will be able to convince someone to answer them for me ;) Great idea.

Nicole

12/15/2005 10:55 PM  
Blogger AFSister said...

Mary LoVerde published a book about interviewing family members. I saw her speak in person at a parenting conference a few years ago. It was such a cool idea! I bought the book, and wrote the questions, but I haven't been able to follow through and video tape the answers.
Here's a link to the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068487380X/qid=1134755844/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-9280690-3173554?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

12/16/2005 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home