Tuesday, April 15, 2008

off my chest

So today I was holding down the curb while Colin was cruising on his bike and the contractor drove by . . . knowing what I had done at the bank I had decided to not approach him but make him seek me out. I got myself in the right mindset and was cool and calm. Before I forget, I decided yesterday to put a stop payment on the check for the work. I thought it was the only action I could take since he did not show up early Monday morning as promised. Back to the action . . . he talked to his workers and walked my way . . . I said, "well, are you ready?" He told me that doesn't sound good. And I told him that he was right; it wasn't meant to be good. I started at the front and pointed out what I liked (always say something positive) and what I did not . . . the nots being more than the likes. I told him to let's go in the back where I was most unhappy. He agreed with me that the work was lacking . . . he told me he was embarrased and was going to have to go home to get a new behind. I gave him two options, 1)leave it as is and give me back a portion of my money and I will correct the color or 2)do it over. He said that in his mind the only option was #2. Of course I feel guilty because I think I could have made it look better with masonry stain but whatever he wants to do is fine by me. I might not like the redo color so that is still an option since I bought the stain today, lol! I had his attention for over 15 minutes and I held nothing back but was very polite and tactful. As we walked back to the front yard I told him what I had done with the final payment and he said he did not blame me.

So I feel better and will sleep a good night's sleep . . . I have learned two lessons in this mess
1. do your homework no matter what other work looks like
2. be honest if something is not to your satisfaction

Now I will be curious to see if any of my neighbors speak up too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOOD FOR YOU!
Never settle for anything less that what you were promised or expect. I hope it turns out ok when it's all re-done!

4/15/2008 10:37 PM  
Blogger keri said...

Go Heidi! ANd I suspect that since you were nice & polite about it, it probably went much farther than if you'd started off on a bad foot!

Keep us readers posted!
keri

4/16/2008 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo. I'm proud of you. I know it can be hard to stand your ground even when you know that you're right. I like the staining that you did. IT looks a lot better.

T

4/16/2008 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home