Who is slower?
Snail Mail OR Pony Express OR Two Feet . . . that is the question
So last Tuesday (March 18), my CPA, who lives less than 20 miles from me, mailed some documents to sign to contest the third party collections letter. They finally arrived this Tuesday (March 25). I swear I could have walked to his house and back compared to how long it took snail mail . . . our mail takes forever! I signed them and went to the post office that afternoon around 2pm to mail them certified to the Austin office (about 100 miles away) . . . always want proof it made it. Yesterday, I got the return post card saying it had arrived and that someone in the office signed for my letter . . . so now I must just wait. Really, less than 24 hours later it was there; how could that be? I still don't understand why it takes a week for a letter to go 20 miles and the same letter makes the 100 mile journey in less than 24 hours? Oh well, now it is up to the Taxpayer Advocate, a division within the IRS, to hear my case and make a decision. I guess no matter what they say it will finally put this issue to rest. I still think the money should be refunded.
I also need to go pick up my 2007 taxes . . . yes, we both still have to pay. At least Colin's amount is less since I made four big payments throughout the year. Thanks to our elected officials their 'fix' to the AMT did not help him. I can't complain enough about this but I will try to back off. I know Sean would be so shocked at how much of his money is going back to taxes.
Nothing else going on in my life . . . just enjoying this beautiful weather . . . oh and my garden . . . will have to post about that tomorrow.
So last Tuesday (March 18), my CPA, who lives less than 20 miles from me, mailed some documents to sign to contest the third party collections letter. They finally arrived this Tuesday (March 25). I swear I could have walked to his house and back compared to how long it took snail mail . . . our mail takes forever! I signed them and went to the post office that afternoon around 2pm to mail them certified to the Austin office (about 100 miles away) . . . always want proof it made it. Yesterday, I got the return post card saying it had arrived and that someone in the office signed for my letter . . . so now I must just wait. Really, less than 24 hours later it was there; how could that be? I still don't understand why it takes a week for a letter to go 20 miles and the same letter makes the 100 mile journey in less than 24 hours? Oh well, now it is up to the Taxpayer Advocate, a division within the IRS, to hear my case and make a decision. I guess no matter what they say it will finally put this issue to rest. I still think the money should be refunded.
I also need to go pick up my 2007 taxes . . . yes, we both still have to pay. At least Colin's amount is less since I made four big payments throughout the year. Thanks to our elected officials their 'fix' to the AMT did not help him. I can't complain enough about this but I will try to back off. I know Sean would be so shocked at how much of his money is going back to taxes.
Nothing else going on in my life . . . just enjoying this beautiful weather . . . oh and my garden . . . will have to post about that tomorrow.

8 Comments:
Noe one including me enjoys paying taxes. However, paying taxes is one of the benefits of living in our country. I consider it a priviledge to pay taxes because it means that I made some money.
Butch Kemper
I would have to say that I don't think Mr. Kemper making money and Colin making money would be anywhere close to the same thing and I hope he isn't commenting about something he knows absolutely nothing about....this money came at a high price, and I'm quite sure Colin as well as Heidi would rather not have a dime of it if they could have Sean back....can I have a hooyah on that???? your ole Texas Tech/Vilseck buddy
Mr. Kemper doesn't seem to understand the type of money "we" pay taxes on. I also hope he feels it a priviledge to live in a country our husbands died for. I feel your pain, Heidi. God bless you and Colin.
Hope all is resolved and a little less stress is headed your way!
Yeah me too...on the last comment, that is. I pity anyone having to deal extensively with the IRS! :) Which presidential candidate was it that wanted to abolish the agency...maybe I should have given him a harder look...lol!
I did not do a proper job of expressing the thought I had about paying taxes. I do know why Colin receives the money and I deeply regret that my thoughts were incompletely expressed and may have caused anguish.
I was trying to express the futility of attempting to apply logic and fairness to the US Tax Code and how it is administered by the IRS. Keep in mind that the US Tax Code is used by the government to raise money and to implement social policy. The social policy area is where the unfairness of the tax code is at its worst.
So, I avoid worrying over the Tax Code by thinking about it in the context of my original statement.
Again, I regret that my previous remarks were incomplete and were misunderstood. I have the highest respect for the sacrifices made by our soldiers and their families.
Butch Kemper
It seems that tax time has become a synonym for stress. Every year millions of Americans face our tax laws that even the IRS do not understand completely. I forget the figures but a year or so ago a reporter called the tax number for information a number of times when he talked to different people about the same fictitious problems and was given a different answer almost every time.
Even they do not know what they are doing.
Good luck, this problem is adding insult to your injury.
I don't think kids should have to pay taxes on the money they get. That's the one thing I would like to fight. Most people think I'm kidding when I tell them my kid owes taxes every year. I wish they wouldn't tax the kids. Hope you get everything figured out with your tax issue.
Heidi
Post a Comment
<< Home