Corner of my eye . . .
At the time I picked it up and flipped through the pages. The first article I came to was about a high school near Fort Hood and how they have handled the war with so many deployed parents. It had a nice photograph of a teen girl . . . I recognized her name because her mom is on the widow chat room that I am . . . I continued to flip through and found another article about the protestors at the President's Ranch . . . turned me off and I placed it back in the rack. I came home and emailed the family of the daughter. Mrs. B mentioned the photographs of all the soldiers from Texas who have been killed. I did not see that! On Sunday, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a copy . . . I found Sean's picture . . . the one taken on the day he came to Texas for R&R . . . he was holding Colin and looking so proud.
The one thing that I noticed was the fallen soldiers had a photo about 1 inch by 1 inch while the protestors got a full page photo . . . go figure.
Texas has lost over 200 men and women . . . that is about 10% of all deaths in this war. Wow, that seems like a lot for one state, but I guess it shows that Texans are ready and willing to to serve their country. I still have not read all the articles but will someday . . .

3 Comments:
It must be surreal to see that...
That is such a good point...how the soldiers' photos were so small and the protestors photos so large...something's wrong there...sort of like how positive things on the news are minimized while the negatives are over-amplified and so often exaggerated.
Ralph Peters...a former Army intel guy and now staff writer for the NY Post recently had some VERY good articles about what's going on within the media...and from inside of it, he's fighting our war alongside of us that support the troops, our President, and the missions underway. I'd urge you to go read these...you'll have to cut and paste:
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/64407.htm
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/64406.htm
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Ralph Peters fan...he was one of those guys that was writing "Army fiction" even before he retired and I didn't think too much of him as an author, but I think he's absolutely spot on with his reports FROM Baghdad and FROM the streets. It sure sounds like he's out on the ground where he can make some pretty good observations, not holed up in the "Green Zone" in some hotel sipping Scotch and soda.
See you on the high ground.
MajorDad1984
Post a Comment
<< Home