Monday, February 13, 2006

Wide Eyed

Last night was one of those nights that I just could not go to sleep. I put Colin to bed at 9, after DH of course, and the last time I looked at the clock it was 2:48am. I could not figure out why I was having such a problem falling asleep . . . was it Colin's snoring? I then realized why . . . it was 2 years ago yesterday that Sean left our house for his flight to Iraq. We had our last meal together at the Vilseck Food Court, Greek Gyro and Baskin Robbins. I then drove across post and left him at his company area. He went early because he had so much he needed to do before he left. He was to assume command when the flight touched soil in Kuwait. It wasn't you typical change of command, but Sean probably would not have had it any other way . . . no ceremony, no speech, and no food! He exits the plane and takes command. He had waited a very long time, and I am sure the buttons on his top were bursting at the seams.

I finally turned on the TV to watch a little of the Olympics but changed it to the Game Show Network . . . it was a rerun of The Amazing Race but I watched it anyway . . . have I mentioned that I love this show? I tried to fall asleep again but no luck so this time got the iPod out to listen to a little music . . .
1. Love of My Life by Sammy Kershaw (the first song we dance to at our wedding reception)
2. One Day Left to Live by Sammy Kershaw
3. Home by Michael Buble
4. Something That We Do by Clint Black
5. Angel by Sarah McLachlan
6. Just To See You Smile by Tim McGraw
7. This Old Town by Nancy Griffith
8. Only Time by Enya
9. Building a Mystery by Sarah McLachlan
10. Can't Help But Wonder by Nancy Griffith
Well, these aren't the most uplifting songs, but I like them. I think I need to buy some new songs.

Today, is the 13th . . . it seems so long ago that it was January 13th . . . hard to believe that 24 months ago Sean boarded a plane for Iraq, and 15 months ago I got that dreaded knock at my door, sigh . . . guess it will be a low key day for us today. I dreaded him making a flight on the February 13th . . . it was weird that exactly 9 months after he arrived in Iraq; he was killed. I hate the 13th! At least on the next 13th, I will be "home", sigh . . .

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dana left two years ago tomorrow, Valentine's Day. I am glad to know I was not the only one who sent my husband off to war without a homecooked meal. Ours was going through the Burger King drive-thru. While driving through Dana was on the phone to his mother telling her he could not take care of that "last minute" request cause he was getting ready to board a bus then a plane. We spent our last hours in the gym filling out claims forms for damaged household goods...our two years were coming up.

We just found out yesterday he will be going back for another year. Hummmm...not sure how I feel about that one. Only time will tell.

I am thankful I am back home and will probably try to teach at the middle school since both boys will be there next year.

Hope to be in Vilseck next week and visit old friends and the folks at school.

Hope you have a great trip next month and will share your adventures.

Pleasant dreams...Lucille

2/13/2006 6:29 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Reading your description of the Vilseck food court (it's funny to me now that the food court brings back memories) really makes me remember two years also. It was such a cold goodbye...I can remember standing at A Company, in the dark and cold of February...

2/13/2006 8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete left on the 14th...two years tomorrow.

2/13/2006 9:45 PM  
Blogger Household6 said...

(((HUGS))) that is the only thing I can think of to give you right now.

Sweet dreams to you and Colin.

HH6

2/14/2006 12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 years ago on the 14th mine left...seems like a distant memory. Reading about your send off made me think of my own. Seemed like such a big deal then...but nothing compared to what was to come for Alpha Company. Keep your head up girl and know that we are all thinking about you.
:0) You are an amazing woman

2/14/2006 5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time passes so fast. Mine left 2 years ago yesterday also. I can remember it so vividly, saying our good byes outside. I honestly felt like I would never see him again. He didn't want me to stay all night. I had intended on staying until he left but seeing as I was pregnant with Catie and so tired we hung out as long as he would let us and then went outside and said our good-byes. He was so excited about his job and wanting to make a good impression on Dana. I remember crying and holding him and thinking I can't do this. But I did and I'm so fortunate he came home. I know this and thank God for it each and everyday. I've been real emotional this past week and wondered why, maybe this is why Heidi, I didn't put the 2 together. Cortney says hello!

2/14/2006 9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always in our thoughts and prayers.
We love you,
Godstxgirl

2/15/2006 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home