Sunday, May 28, 2006

Never a Dull Moment . . .

Oh how I wish I was talking about the shopping book in Germany! It has been a super long week . . . Colin was sick Monday and Tuesday but better by Wednesday. My grandmother was on vacation and became very sick so early Wednesday morning we headed to Sweeny for the 4 hour drive to pick her up when she was released from the hospital to bring her to her local doctor. Well, Colin became sick again on Thursday and we headed to a local doctor . . . what a hassle it is to get a pre-approval with Tricare to see a doctor other than our primary doctor . . . it only took three phone calls to get a knowledgeable person . . . time will tell if it worked. Colin was a little dehydrated but not to the point of needing to pay the hospital a visit . . . same one my grandmother was at . . . she was the one and only patient. He was much better on Friday and stayed in the swimming pool most of the day . . . slept like a champ that night. We headed back home Saturday morning . . . another 4 hour car ride. Sunday brought a visit to the cemetery in College Station and another 3 hours in the car. Thank goodness Colin is becoming better during these car trips.

It has been another weekend . . . it is one that I dread but am so proud of Sean. As we drove back on Saturday I noticed a sign in Rosenberg. It upset me a bit . . . Happy Memorial Day . . . so what is so 'happy' about Memorial Day? I thought it was VERY insensitive but I am sure they really never thought about the saying. To me Memorial Day is a day to remember the sacrifices of our men and women who gave their lives for our freedoms . . . death is not happy. I must admit that before last year I never really knew the true meaning of this holiday. I am sure most Americans spend the day having a BBQ and hitting the big sales that stores have . . . I am guilty of those activities too. In fact Sean and I made a few 'big' purchases in the past on Memorial Day . . . in 1998 we rented our first home at 713 Princeton Circle in Clarksville, Tennessee and in 2000 we bought the Avalon in Louisville, Kentucky. Tonight we are heading to two kiddie birthday parties so the kiddo should sleep like a dream tonight . . . I can't wait!


Bringing a new flag for Sean . . . my little Yankee Doodle


'Planting' the flowers that he picked out . . . I took my favorite flowers, gerber daisies

8 Comments:

Blogger Gitti said...

I noticed that expression "Happy" Memorial Day a few times. Even a TV commercial said "Happy" Memorials Day Sale.
Colin is as cute as always!! :)

5/28/2006 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about you and Colin(and Sean) all weekend. Thank you for helping to remind me of what Memorial Day is REALLY all about. I have taken a moment everyday this weekend to remember my family as well as others that have died for our country. Although I also do not get the "Happy" thing...I do get this...you should be extremly proud of Sean(and all of our military). I am sure he is looking down and is very proud of you and is in awe at what a amazing mother you are, and that should make you "happy".

5/28/2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

The pictures, really touched my eart. Be strong, I have been praying for each of you. I am sure the day is long.

5/28/2006 10:33 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I have to admit that I have seen signs in years past that said "Happy Memorial Day" and not thought much of it, and I may have said it before too. Not anymore. Memorial Day definitely has a much more serious meaning to me now than it did in previous years. Heidi, thank you for the reminder. I also wanted to say that I've seen Colin only in pictures, but he gets more beautiful every time I see new ones.

I know tomorrow is going to be a busy one for me, but you and Colin will be in my heart and mind all day, along with other friends who have lost a loved one to this war. I can feel in your words how proud you are of Sean, and I know he's so very proud of you too.

5/28/2006 11:08 PM  
Blogger from the end of the bar said...

This is my first visit to your site. I was in Sean's small group in Fort Knox (the Canadian Student). My wife and I will be thinking of you and Colin and remebering Sean from up here in Canada. Steven Dubreuil, Major(retired), Montreal.

5/29/2006 7:14 AM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Every time you post pictures of Colin at Sean’s grave, I inevitably get a lump in my throat. There is something so terribly sad, but so beautiful about the pictures at the same time. It is beautiful to see how involved Colin is in decorating his father’s grave, and if I didn’t know better I might think that Colin was just in a park, his innocence belies the tragedy. How heartwarming it must be to watch Colin grow, and how heartbreaking to know that those two important men in your lives will never really get to know one another. Thank you for giving people a peek into your life and your daily challenges. It has definitely changed the way I look at many things, many of the moments in life.

5/29/2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger Household6 said...

Thank you to Sean for his service to this Nation & thank you to you and Colin for all that you do.

HH6

5/30/2006 12:45 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

Wee Colin is so precious--you must be so proud of him. I hope he is a comfort to you each day--from the pride and joy that comes across in your posts and pictures of him, I'm sure he is. :)

I was thinking of you and Sean and Colin this weekend. It must have been hard. I hope knowing that you are in the hearts and prayers of many helps in some way.

Blessings,
Lara

5/30/2006 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home