Saturday, November 11, 2006

Veteran's Day 2006

Today, November 11th, is Veterans Day . . . I don't remember where I read this or who wrote it but I think the words are powerful . . .

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and who allows the protestor to burn the flag.

Thanks to all those who served and continue to serve . . .

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi,
Sean did not give his life for a controversial war; he gave it for the safety of his men and mission accomplishment -- and we won the battle for Fallujah because of men like him and CSM Faulkenberg. Fallujah is no longer a safe haven for Al Qaeda! My wife and I both talk about your situation and pray for your continued healing. Hits home to me, as you know, because I am writing this on my second tour with 1ID here from my infantry battalion headquarters in Baghdad. I know this is a difficult time of year for you and our prayers are with you. This war has changed, but your's and Sean's sacrifice do not fall on deaf ears -- I remember all of my mates who have paid the ultimate sacrifice. I feel such sorrow for your loss, Sean died much too young, and pray that God gives you peace of heart every day. Know that Sean is sitting at the right hand of God -- probably commander of the guard there, looking over you and Colin. God Bless You.

r/scott nelson

11/11/2006 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great minds think alike :) I had this same poem ready for my entry today. From my research, the author is Father Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC.

11/11/2006 1:36 AM  
Blogger 4HB ME said...

I think I was reminded of this quote/poem from all people, but Imus In the Morning. It always hits home to me. I wish it would have the same impact on the reporters, poets, campus organizers and protestors as it does us.

11/11/2006 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi,

I visit your blog nearly daily if not more than a few times daily and I just want to say thank you. So many times the military forgets about the women who stand beside their man and the sacrifices they make. I have posted somewhat of a tribute on my site for military wives and have linked your name and site. I hope that was ok. My site is private but can be found at the following blog address. http://carolshappysummerplace.spaces.live.com I have listed you to be able to access my site using your aol email. Let me know if you have difficulty accessing it.

Carol

11/11/2006 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi, I too have been following your blog through KBG's. You and Colin are in my thoughts and prayers always. I admire your strength and courage. Thank you for being so open and honest with your writing. God bless you! KBG's aunt sb

11/13/2006 9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the soldier, whose love of God-family-country inspires the Son of God.

5When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6"Lord," he said, "my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering."
7Jesus said to him, "I will go and heal him."
8The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it." 10When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.
Romans 8:5-10

11/14/2006 1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home