Muster Reflections
Well yesterday was a special day for Aggies around the world. I did not post as I could not find the words. I was in College Station on Monday for a dedication . . . another post soon . . . I heard that Secretary of Defense Robert Gates was going to be the campus Muster speaker and really wanted to hear him. So tonight I went to the local tv station's website to see if I could find his speech. Here is the article from the local newspaper too. What did we do before the internet?
Now I know over the last year or so I have really expressed my disappointment in Dr. Gates and some of his decisions BUT after I watched his speech I saw him differently . . . his words were so filled with pride and listening to the emotions in his voice I realized he is a human being. After listening to him talk of our soldiers that are deployed, reading a portion of a letter an Aggie wrote days before the war began, and his thoughts on the 22 Aggies that have been killed; I KNOW that he puts a lot of thought into his decisions. I have always respected him and well tonight a little more . . . I feel bad for thinking he made decisions without thought . . . so I still don't agree with the Dover decision but have let that go. I can't imagine how he must feel doing the job he has to do. So thanks Dr. Gates . . . I know you will always remember!
Now I know over the last year or so I have really expressed my disappointment in Dr. Gates and some of his decisions BUT after I watched his speech I saw him differently . . . his words were so filled with pride and listening to the emotions in his voice I realized he is a human being. After listening to him talk of our soldiers that are deployed, reading a portion of a letter an Aggie wrote days before the war began, and his thoughts on the 22 Aggies that have been killed; I KNOW that he puts a lot of thought into his decisions. I have always respected him and well tonight a little more . . . I feel bad for thinking he made decisions without thought . . . so I still don't agree with the Dover decision but have let that go. I can't imagine how he must feel doing the job he has to do. So thanks Dr. Gates . . . I know you will always remember!

4 Comments:
i wanted to call ya to give ya a heads up, since i didn't know if you had heard & hadn't seen ya online
glad ya knew
even more glad that you enjoyed his Muster
i really wish A&M would be pro-active in collectively honoring the 22
how did we find information before the internet?
http://www.kbtx.com/video/?clipId=3678321&clipFormat=flv&topVideoCatNo=92653
the link to the Muster by Dr. Gates
Heidi,
I'm pretty sure that he is going to be the graduation speaker this year at West Point. You're welcome to come stay with us.
~T
Post a Comment
<< Home