Back to School BLUES
I now have a 3rd grader; I don’t know how that happened but it did.
He was most excited about his teacher this year . . . always a good sign! She taught him in 1st grade, and he really liked her . . . maybe because she is young and not as hard on him as his mom? If he is happy then I am happy, but give me a few weeks and I am certain I will be upset about something, LOL. Never fails! I went early to get in the car pick up line. If you have ever done this you know it can be a source of entertainment and pure frustration too. I mean do people not see the dozens of cars waiting in line? Do they think they can just drive up closer to the front? Yesterday, a lady passed the line, got out of her car to move the orange cones, and circled towards the front . . . not sure what she was doing but she drove on and then blocked the entire pick up line; nice! I bet her child isn’t a good listener or rule follower either. Totally annoys me!
Colin was all smiles when he jumped into the car and told me he had homework; seriously on the first day! We get home and visit with the neighbor girl about her first day of 1st grade and then get the homework out. I was “explained” what was to be done. The class read a book today (have no idea the book title) about how she/he lost her memories. The sheet had instructions to place in the bag at least three of the things below . . . I was also “explained to” that at least means 3, 4, or 5 . . . so glad I have a smart kid to inform this aging mind of mine. So I read them . . .
1. something that makes you warm
2. something that is old
3. something that makes you sad
4. something that makes you laugh
5. something that is worth the value of gold
Okay so this will be easy . . . we sit at the table across from each other and start discussing what he could/should/would take . . . mind you we have a gallon size bag to put these things into to return tomorrow. The answer I got for Number 1 was a jacket . . . seriously SO trying not to laugh at this literal thinking child . . . we decide to skip Number 1.
So this is what he decides to take:
2. old coins from trips
3. photo of me and Daddy
4. a small stuffed Snoopy that plays music
5. one of Sean’s medals
I was okay with those things except the thought of him taking one of Sean’s medals . . . not just any medal but his actual medal. Since I just can’t let things go, I decided to probe why he picked each of these things . . .
2. well because they are cool especially the one with a hole in the middle (coin from Denmark) and the Germany one because I was born there you know. Hmmm, I don’t remember that one kid!
4. because Snoopy is so crazy and funny! The main reason Colin even knows about Snoopy is because of all the wonderful surprises we both get in the mail from Laurel. (THANK YOU LAUREL). The weird thing about the blogging world is you meet people; people you would not know if you met them on the street but people who know all about you, your life, and that you communicate with. It is a weird relationship to some but so nice too. The first time she sent Colin some stickers of the Peanuts Gang . . . he had no idea who they were so I bought a DVD and he was hooked . . . we have a huge collection now and watch them all the time. So after some very emotional times in life it is nice to know the Peanuts Gang makes Colin laugh . . . kids shouldn’t have to experience the things he has had to live with but glad he can be just a kid.
5. It is just special to me . . . no explanation needed.
I did save this one for last because I knew it would probably make me cry . . .
3. super long pause; I can tell he is really thinking about this one . . . I look at this photo of me as a tiny baby and then Daddy went to war and well he never came home to me . . . OMG can you believe that? I had huge tears in my eyes and grabbed a tissue and noticed Colin had teary eyes too. He asked why I was crying and just told him that it still makes Mommy very sad that he never got to know his father. He just agreed and life continued. What more can I say?
Let's just hope this is not a year of these types of projects, LOL!
He was most excited about his teacher this year . . . always a good sign! She taught him in 1st grade, and he really liked her . . . maybe because she is young and not as hard on him as his mom? If he is happy then I am happy, but give me a few weeks and I am certain I will be upset about something, LOL. Never fails! I went early to get in the car pick up line. If you have ever done this you know it can be a source of entertainment and pure frustration too. I mean do people not see the dozens of cars waiting in line? Do they think they can just drive up closer to the front? Yesterday, a lady passed the line, got out of her car to move the orange cones, and circled towards the front . . . not sure what she was doing but she drove on and then blocked the entire pick up line; nice! I bet her child isn’t a good listener or rule follower either. Totally annoys me!
Colin was all smiles when he jumped into the car and told me he had homework; seriously on the first day! We get home and visit with the neighbor girl about her first day of 1st grade and then get the homework out. I was “explained” what was to be done. The class read a book today (have no idea the book title) about how she/he lost her memories. The sheet had instructions to place in the bag at least three of the things below . . . I was also “explained to” that at least means 3, 4, or 5 . . . so glad I have a smart kid to inform this aging mind of mine. So I read them . . .
1. something that makes you warm
2. something that is old
3. something that makes you sad
4. something that makes you laugh
5. something that is worth the value of gold
Okay so this will be easy . . . we sit at the table across from each other and start discussing what he could/should/would take . . . mind you we have a gallon size bag to put these things into to return tomorrow. The answer I got for Number 1 was a jacket . . . seriously SO trying not to laugh at this literal thinking child . . . we decide to skip Number 1.
So this is what he decides to take:
2. old coins from trips
3. photo of me and Daddy
4. a small stuffed Snoopy that plays music
5. one of Sean’s medals
I was okay with those things except the thought of him taking one of Sean’s medals . . . not just any medal but his actual medal. Since I just can’t let things go, I decided to probe why he picked each of these things . . .
2. well because they are cool especially the one with a hole in the middle (coin from Denmark) and the Germany one because I was born there you know. Hmmm, I don’t remember that one kid!
4. because Snoopy is so crazy and funny! The main reason Colin even knows about Snoopy is because of all the wonderful surprises we both get in the mail from Laurel. (THANK YOU LAUREL). The weird thing about the blogging world is you meet people; people you would not know if you met them on the street but people who know all about you, your life, and that you communicate with. It is a weird relationship to some but so nice too. The first time she sent Colin some stickers of the Peanuts Gang . . . he had no idea who they were so I bought a DVD and he was hooked . . . we have a huge collection now and watch them all the time. So after some very emotional times in life it is nice to know the Peanuts Gang makes Colin laugh . . . kids shouldn’t have to experience the things he has had to live with but glad he can be just a kid.
5. It is just special to me . . . no explanation needed.
I did save this one for last because I knew it would probably make me cry . . .
3. super long pause; I can tell he is really thinking about this one . . . I look at this photo of me as a tiny baby and then Daddy went to war and well he never came home to me . . . OMG can you believe that? I had huge tears in my eyes and grabbed a tissue and noticed Colin had teary eyes too. He asked why I was crying and just told him that it still makes Mommy very sad that he never got to know his father. He just agreed and life continued. What more can I say?
Let's just hope this is not a year of these types of projects, LOL!

6 Comments:
You are more than welcome, Heidi. I am so honored...
Heidi, big hugs - you are an awesome mom. Tears in my eyes, too. ~Sue K
I'm sitting at work reading this with big tears in my eyes. Grief for us widows is one thing, but grief in our children is so very, very difficult. Here's hoping the school year goes well for you and Colin!
Paula
Our kids serve their country too. God bless you both.
Jennifer
Tears in my eyes too! Hugs to both of you.
*sniff* What a great kid.
Post a Comment
<< Home