Wednesday, December 21, 2011

school party and a rant

Let me get the rant out of the way . . . I am a co-room parent for Colin's class . . . hey if you want to know what is going on you sort of have to volunteer for these things, LOL. Anyway, it doesn't require a lot of time and basically just contact other parents when there is a class party or field trip. So the school Christmas . . . I mean Holiday Party is tomorrow. All the 2nd grade classes are doing the same thing: make reindeer bag for stocking stuffers, decorate a cookie, eat some breakfast treats (party is from 9-10 only), play a book exchange game, and hopefully the hour is over! If not I have a Lego snowman ornament to fill the time. So each kid was asked to bring a wrapped book that was less than $6 (which I guess you could wrap a book you already owned and did not want so basically free) . . . now here is my issue . . . there are two dollar store type places within a mile of the school . . . you can so see where this one is going can't you? Only 12 out of the 20 brought a book . . . 12 parents made an effort to buy and wrap a book . . . EIGHT did not! Of course with those numbers there can be no playing a game when almost half the class did not do as asked . . . I know it might seem shallow or pissy but come on $1 for a book, is that too much to ask? Side story about a book exchange when Colin was in 1st grade last year . . . he got this totally crappy book called something like "God this is me, please be fair" or something stupid like that . . . it was totally a crappy book and sort of bothered me. I thought it had to be the worst one in the entire class until I was talking to another parent who had a son in the same class . . . you know what book her son got? A yearbook . . . not a yearbook from the school he attended some other random elementary school in the area. I haven't laughed so hard before but seriously who does that. And if I would have gotten that yearbook I would have so tried to figure out who was in there that went to our school. Of course I managed to round up 8 books for those without and if I would have had some crappy old yearbook from another school I might have wrapped it to be mean . . . of course I got rid of the other book we got last year and with our luck Colin would have ended up with it again. SO on to something that makes me smile . . . I am back to making treats for his breakfast party . . . no real baking as we are suppose to bring store purchased items . . . what's up with all these rules? I made some blueberry muffins (so did not buy them) and donuts . . .

. . . and chocolate dipped pretzels . . .
I was getting tired by this point and just wanted to be d-o-n-e! I plan to put them in something standing upright but for now that is the best I could do! Can you say over achiever? Well actually I don't really have a 'real' life I guess. They were all really too cute and again totally not my idea. I am sure I will cringe tomorrow when the kid takes one bite and throws it in the trash . . . BUT what I really couldn't wait to dive into were these . . .
WOW! We have the best friends! When the UPS/FedEx (don't know because he was so fast) rang the bell Colin answered and yelled "LOGAN!" I thought Logan was at our front door until I rounded the corner and saw the pink box! We are both on a sugar high and now that he is in bed I'm off to have some hot tea and at least one more!

1 Comments:

Blogger ABW said...

I am totally nominating you for homeroom mom for my class next year!

1/04/2012 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home