Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Getting Settled and Trying to Fit In

I must admit that the first day had its highs and lows. First, I am so tired and my feet are even more tired. I had to trek all over this complex to locate these kids! Thank goodness they are on their own next week. I am going to go buy the world's most comfortable shoes this weekend. I think that this job is going to be rewarding but I sure have some very low performing students. It is going to be a challenge. I never knew there was so much difference between a 2nd and 5th grader . . . well, the maturity level of some are about the same. I only had a couple of students that drove me crazy but nothing that isn't going to be easy to solve.

I think one of the biggest challenges for me is going to be to try and fit in with my colleagues. This may sound bad but it is so different from being at DODDS. Everyone at DODDS brought so much knowledge, experience, and culture from all over the US and here the population is pretty much the same. In fact, many of the teachers I had at this school are still here . . . hey now that sounds like DODDS. Funny! I find myself just hanging out alone in the room when I have a break or a class is not there . . . I have always been a loner but now even more so. Maybe it is that I don't want to explain my life situation or do they know and don't want to be around me?

My first impression was good . . . the pledge has never meant so much and it always baffled me that at a school where almost 100% of the students had a parent connected to the military not all teachers said the pledge. One of the first things I noticed in my classroom was the lack of a flag . . . now our flags are front and center. I don't have students when the pledge is said over the loud speaker, but I stand and recite it. It gets me off to a great start.

I look forward to day two. Once I get into a routine and some direction in exactly what my job is, it will be a breeze . . . hopefully. I feel like I am working ten times harder than when I worked everyday all day in a regular classroom . . . off to rest my feet and decide what color shoes to buy this weekend . . . maybe black and brown!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with Day 2! It sounds like you are off to a great start.

You, Colin, and Sean are in my prayers. I know I don't know you, but I guess it's that Aggie connection. I am Class of 97(and also faithfully attended St. Mary's). Thank you for writing about your journey and about Sean - I don't think I have the words to describe how much respect I have for him and every other person serving our country, along with their families.

And for the record, 1) your son is absolutely adorable, and 2) I also was shocked by how much I enjoyed my Ipod. Buy the plug for your car - it's great for road trips.

-roxanne

10/25/2005 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, Heidi! May I recommend SAS shoes? My mother's foot doctor put her in them and now I'm wearing them, too. Some of them look old ladyish, but they are very comfortable and good for your feet. (Well, you're not over 40 yet, so you might want to put that tip aside for a little later and stick with clogs or moccasins.)

** Ooh, just checked the web and they're made in San Antonio and are number one on one walking shoe poll. Maybe my mother is hipper than I thought! http://walking.about.com/cs/shoes/l/blshoepoll95.htm

10/25/2005 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home