Annoyed
There are things in my life that I have learned just by watching . . . when the Star Spangled Banner is played most people remove their hats and/or place their hand on their hearts . . . when you meet a funeral procession you pull off the road and stop. Maybe these have to do with being raised in a small town in Texas maybe not. I was out running errands yesterday when I met a funeral procession of about 10 cars, I immediately pulled to the right and waited for all the cars to pass. I was about to pull back into the road when the obnoxious driver behind me revved his engine and passed me! The nerve of this man. It wasn't like I was driving slow or anything but I was just being respectful to the family of this unknown person.
If there is one thing that I remember about Sean's funeral it is the drive from the church to the cemetery. The funeral mass was held at St. Mary's across from the campus of A&M and the cemetery is on the other side of town so we had to drive a few miles down one of the busiest streets in College Station. I remember students stopping as we turned onto University across from the campus . . . ironically when I was in college I remember stopping for a funeral procession and cars whizzing by me, I couldn't believe that people were so disrespectful . . . when we turned onto Texas Avenue I remember people getting out of their cars and standing in the middle of the road with their hands on their heart . . . and then there were the guys from the local VFW post . . . God love them . . . they looked so amazing standing at the gates of the cemetery as we turned in . . . the cemetery had hung the American flags out front and it looked so patriotic. It was truly amazing how total strangers took the time to pay such respect to someone that they did not even know. This I will never forget! I guess little things like this man just get on my nerves!
If there is one thing that I remember about Sean's funeral it is the drive from the church to the cemetery. The funeral mass was held at St. Mary's across from the campus of A&M and the cemetery is on the other side of town so we had to drive a few miles down one of the busiest streets in College Station. I remember students stopping as we turned onto University across from the campus . . . ironically when I was in college I remember stopping for a funeral procession and cars whizzing by me, I couldn't believe that people were so disrespectful . . . when we turned onto Texas Avenue I remember people getting out of their cars and standing in the middle of the road with their hands on their heart . . . and then there were the guys from the local VFW post . . . God love them . . . they looked so amazing standing at the gates of the cemetery as we turned in . . . the cemetery had hung the American flags out front and it looked so patriotic. It was truly amazing how total strangers took the time to pay such respect to someone that they did not even know. This I will never forget! I guess little things like this man just get on my nerves!

7 Comments:
That is one of my memories from the day of Sean's funeral as well. I remember almost crying, again, when I saw the wonderful people of College Station not only pulling over to the side, but getting out of their car to salute Sean.
As far as the man who did this, hopefully he feels badly about his juvenile behavior. At least you know the family appreciated your thoughfulness, just as you did when it was done to you.
In Abilene Texas you can get a ticket for not pulling over and stopping. I went to the funeral for Lt.Doyal Hufsteddler and the out pouring of love from the community was something to see.
God Bless all of those that GAVE ALL.. I love them dearly.
I wish I could have been there to pay my respects to Sean and to you and his love ones...
I hope he wasn't an Aggie!! Everywhere I have lived pulling over and stopping is the custom, but it was all in the South so I don't know about other regions.
I went on a genealogy research tour of some very old cemeteries in Indiana. It made me tear up to see that EVERY headstone of a veteran from our times to Revoluntionary times had small American flags on them. It was in late summer, I don't know when they had been placed there, but I think it was probably what we used to call Decoration Day.
It's interesting the things we remember. My dad died when I was in college and I don't remember anything that was said at the funeral, but I do remember the ride to the cemetery. It was a rainy, dreary day, and I thought to myself the angels must be crying. I remember the Lt.Gov. of Okla., the senators, etc., came, and traffic was stopped on Route 66 (the main street of my hometown)
and I noticed that stores, the city hall, the library, etc., were closed and people were standing along Main St. I remember looking up and seeing the flags were at half-mast. That is the memory that I have of that day, no words remembered, just visions in my mind. It is still comforting to this day, and that was 37 years ago. May you have the same kind of comfort.
Love,
Sarah's Mama
Even on the west coast, people pull over for these sorts of things...it's just what you do. I hope it's not regional behavior...I hope it's American behavior! I agree...it's an issue of respect!!
It's a hit-or-miss thing, in my experience. I'm from Ohio, and we rarely see people actually pull over for a funeral procession. But the last funeral I went to in the South, they pulled over, and some got out of their cars. It is an amazing site to see people honor your deceased loved one in that way.
Maybe this man came from another country.
When I moved to the States the first time, I didn't know that Americans stop for funeral processions.
I actually got stuck in a procession line on a major interstate, they waved and got mad, and I had no clue why.
A neighbor told me afterwards and I felt really bad.
Post a Comment
<< Home