Thursday, January 19, 2006

Birthday Memories

Happy Birthday to me (and Chaotic Cranium)! It is hard to believe that I am in Texas for this one but I am . . . yet one more without Sean. This is a hard one because today we are the same age. Hard for me to grasp and swallow because it was never suppose to be this way. We were never suppose to be the same age and in 2006 we are. I have always struggled with the fact that Sean will forever be young in all his photos while I continue to age and wrinkle. We were suppose to grow old together and give each other a hard time. Here is where I have been the last 32 birthdays . . .

1974 Scott & White Hospital Temple, Texas
1975-1992 Eddy, Texas
1993-1996 College Station, Texas
1997 Fort Benning, Georgia
1998 Eddy, Texas
1999-2000 Fort Campbell, Kentucky
2001-2005 Germany

Yes, even last year I was "home" to celebrate with friends in Freihung at the Sportsplatz . . . I was back to packout and say good bye to my life as a military wife. Here are a couple of photos of my special day . . .

Celebrating at The Outback in 2001 . . . YES, there used to be a real Outback Steakhouse in Wurzburg . . . leave it to us to find it. I was off the exit you take to go to the BIG PX in Wurzburg. Sadly, it changed names a zillion times and never tasted as good but let me tell you it was the best and tasted just like it does in the US. We always wondered why it closed because it was always full of Americans!


Turning the big 30 in 2004! I always thought I would have children by the age of 30 . . . Colin was born 21 days before the big 30 . . . Sean left 3 weeks later for Iraq. This was the last birthday we would celebrate together.

I am sure this year will be very low key . . . where do I want to go eat tonight? I guess I should ask where can we go eat and Colin will act nice? He has such a short attention span and waiting for food is not a priority to him.

20 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Happy Birthday! My husband and I were stationed in Bamberg from 2001-2004 and ate at the Outback (and all other names it had)numerous times and I always wondered the same about the name changes. We thought it was funny to drive an hour to eat there but we did!! We were actually able to get drinks with ice!! :-)

Wishing you the best!
Casey

1/19/2006 9:03 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Happy Birthday, Heidi! I too remember the old Outback...although by the time we discovered it, it was called something else and they were serving the ketchup with Curry (too typical of German restaurants!). I hope you have a great day ;)
Nicole

1/19/2006 9:25 AM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Happy Birthday!

The Big PX...that always makes me laugh, when I tell people that my bf is stationed near Würzburg and they say: oh, the place with the big PX!

And I believe, although I am not sure, that I met up with Sarah and the Girl, at that same restaurant in Freihung at the Sportplatz.

Hope that Colin "acts nice" tonight!

1/19/2006 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I hope that you have a great dinner tonight. I know what you mean about kids having no patience. The only time we go out to eat with the kids is to Chick Fil A and only if they have the play place. Ha ha.

Believe it or not, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have been to the BIG PX many, many times and as far back as the early 80's. Okay, I'm dating myself. The last time I was there, a friend and I looked for the "Outback" but it must have had a different name and so we passed. We did find the mexican place in Hanau. Margaritas!

Best Wishes! T

1/19/2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday! From your friends in Vilseck.

1/19/2006 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Heidi! I hope you have a wonderful, quiet, uneventful dinner. The weather is the worst now. I know you remember. There was some traffic about Wurfl recently. It makes me smile. I think I will drive from Hohenfels to order my boxes again this year. The thought of Wurfl's beautiful flower boxes is the only thing that gets me through the brutal German winter. Maybe I will order them early this year. Any particular color you prefer?
Love, V

1/19/2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Happy Birthday, from the Dentes!

1/19/2006 3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday sweet girl.
Hope your day is wonderful, peaceful and full of happiness.

1/19/2006 3:50 PM  
Blogger Sunny said...

Happy Birthday!!!

1/19/2006 8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi,
I hope your day went okay. I know what you mean....being the same age as Sean. Come June, I'll be the same age as Ernie. You're in my prayers.

1/19/2006 9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!! I hope the day is filled with love and happiness.:0)

1/19/2006 10:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Another "Happy Birthday" from me too...

1/20/2006 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you found someplace good for dinner.

1/20/2006 2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Heidi!
Brigitte and Pete

1/20/2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger Household6 said...

A little late but Happy Birthday! You share the same birthday as my hubby. He turned 34. :-)

Hope your day was great!

HH6

1/20/2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger MajorDad said...

Heidi...

A belated happy birthday! I'm a newbie that happened upon your spot in the blogosphere via SGT LORI.

Hope you had a great day...and I hope you're able to accept my sincere thanks for your husband's service. He gave what Lincoln called the "last full measure of devotion" to a grateful nation. I'm so glad that others have followed me...and others will follow your soldier too.

See you on the high ground!

MajorDad1984

1/20/2006 5:48 PM  
Blogger MQ said...

Happy Birthday Heidi!

1/20/2006 7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Heidi!

1/21/2006 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! :)

1/22/2006 10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better late than never, huh? HAPPY BIRTHDAY! This is a shout out from Colorado.

2/14/2006 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home