Gear
I am hesitant to even write about this topic but figured why not? There is once again more media coverage on the gear our soldiers are wearing or are not wearing. I believe that our soldiers deserve the best possible protection and that the government should provide for them. I also know that the gear is very bulky, heavy, and provides limited movement. I once put on some of Sean's gear without all the plates and it was very difficult for me to move . . . granted I am out of shape but the thought of wearing that day in and day out for over a year is amazing.
This issue has also rekindled my emotions about Sean's death. It was reported that about 80% of the soldiers who have died could have been prevented if they had this gear . . . would not have helped Sean. I can imagine the emotions that these families feel . . . how they must feel to know their son's or daughter's death could have been prevented . . . I really question these results though. The injury that caused Sean's death was to his head above his right ear . . . I can't help but wonder if the new helmet he had was a factor in his death. I am not up to date on all my research so probably shouldn't comment much . . . whatever! I had noticed in some of the more recent photos he sent that his head gear looked different . . . smaller, shorter and sat higher on his head . . . exposed more of his face and profile. I learned after his death that he in fact did have a new helmet weeks before going into Fallujah . . . this I did not know. Someone in the company asked me if I wanted his helmet . . . I was dumbfounded because I figured his helmet was disposed of because it was probably covered in blood. They explained about him getting a new one and they had the old helmet. This may seem strange but I would have liked to have the DCUs and new helmet that he was wearing . . . at least see them, hold them, smell them . . . I know that is strange but it is the one thing that we did not get back in his foot lockers. I know Colin would have loved having a clean set that his daddy wore . . . boys can dress up in them right?
I have his old helmet and it does seem to cover more on the side of his head. While I am sure there is some reasoning to these new helmets, I will always wonder if the old one would have or could have prevented his death . . . it is like pouring salt in an open wound.
This issue has also rekindled my emotions about Sean's death. It was reported that about 80% of the soldiers who have died could have been prevented if they had this gear . . . would not have helped Sean. I can imagine the emotions that these families feel . . . how they must feel to know their son's or daughter's death could have been prevented . . . I really question these results though. The injury that caused Sean's death was to his head above his right ear . . . I can't help but wonder if the new helmet he had was a factor in his death. I am not up to date on all my research so probably shouldn't comment much . . . whatever! I had noticed in some of the more recent photos he sent that his head gear looked different . . . smaller, shorter and sat higher on his head . . . exposed more of his face and profile. I learned after his death that he in fact did have a new helmet weeks before going into Fallujah . . . this I did not know. Someone in the company asked me if I wanted his helmet . . . I was dumbfounded because I figured his helmet was disposed of because it was probably covered in blood. They explained about him getting a new one and they had the old helmet. This may seem strange but I would have liked to have the DCUs and new helmet that he was wearing . . . at least see them, hold them, smell them . . . I know that is strange but it is the one thing that we did not get back in his foot lockers. I know Colin would have loved having a clean set that his daddy wore . . . boys can dress up in them right?
I have his old helmet and it does seem to cover more on the side of his head. While I am sure there is some reasoning to these new helmets, I will always wonder if the old one would have or could have prevented his death . . . it is like pouring salt in an open wound.

5 Comments:
I'm so sorry.
And yes, little boys do dress up in their daddy's clothes..at least mine do. I hope you have lots of Sean's clothes for Colin to play with.
GOD has a plan for your family. Even though we don't always understand it, the Bible promises that ALL things work together for good for those who love the LORD. That is the Sims family.
Don't agonize over what might have changed this or that. My favorite saying is "Did it ever occur to you that nothing occurs to GOD?" HE knows and has a plan.
He loves you all so very much....and so do I.
My heart and love are with you.
This has been a difficult subject for me as well...wondering how different gear, specifically helmet, might have affected Ernie. To my knowledge Ernie was wearing the same Kevlar helmet he'd always had. I've also wondered if the changes would have made it even more cumbersom to do his job. I tried his on one time. Those helmets are so heavy....maybe I just have a really weak neck.
Wanting his DCU's, helmet....I can really relate. Doesn't sound strange at all. So wanted to do the same....they didn't arrive in Ernie's things either.
I save my old uniforms for my son. Not strange at all.
My nephew died when he was 6 of brain cancer over 15 years ago. I STILL SECOND GUESS myself, his death etc. What if we found a different doctor in time? What if he could have had some new surgery etc.
Heidi...
I blogged about this topic too and just wonder myself how much of the reports recently released are indeed true.
My son's currently deployed in northern Iraq (I think) and I've seen him in his "battle rattle." It looks like he's growing up like I did...he'll be "bulking up" with muscle in about 10 years, but for the moment...he's a wiry, skinny little infantryman like his dad. He looks so small in his gear.
I think that it should be up to the commanders and soldiers on the ground to determine what makes sense to wear depending on the mission. If I'm carting so much stuff around with me that I'm slower than normal, that only can help a "bad guy" engage. Like most questions asked about military operations...I usually start my answers with, "It depends..." Then I start asking for more information.
I agree with your characterization of the new helmet...but I'll also tell you, the old helmet, coupled with the new body armor wasn't a very good combination. The high collar to protect the neck caught on the back lip of the old Kevlar. Like lots of things...there are trade offs. It might be a better helmet for the mission now.
Take care and as always...
See you on the high ground!
MajorDad1984
Post a Comment
<< Home