Wednesday, July 12, 2006

This, That, and Not Much

Today has been a low key day . . . always nice to have one of those kind of days after two busy days. We all went to eat lunch . . . the oldest grandchild picked and he wanted Thai . . . oh my gosh can you say yummy? Those who lived in Germany when we did know that we visited the Thai restaurant in Graf all the time. I ordered something that tasted just like that dish in the bowl with chicken, red and green curry, peppers and that coconut milk/peanut sauce . . . do you remember? I ate the entire serving all alone. Did I mention how good it was? I can't wait to go back there and the boy did pretty good even though we got caught in terrible traffic and lunch was during nap time. After lunch everyone went a different direction . . . I took Colin for a haircut at this neat place for kids. He sat in a car and watched Bob the Builder . . . never even moved . . . amazing! We finally made it home and he is taking a nap . . . a little late but better late than never. Tonight I am heading to Frisco to have dinner with Michelle . . . love to chat with her and she is fun to hang out with . . . she gets my life and situation because she too knows all to well what it is like to lose your best friend in Iraq . . . she just learned about a year earlier than me. Colin is going swimming while I am gone . . . big step for me to leave him and 'trust' someone else to take him.

In my post a few days ago I talked about having a trust issue with the in-laws. They have never given me a reason to not trust them it is 100% all me. Colin is my life . . . my only connection to Sean . . . I don't know what I would do if anything happened to him . . . I think I would just die inside and out. He is a living reminder of Sean each and everyday . . . even when he has his temper fits. I admit I am very overprotective but that is my choice. I am even that way with my own parents . . . it is what I need to do for me. Just like this blog . . . it is for ME. When I started writing last year it was for me to put my thoughts and experiences on paper, sort of an online journal . . . a way for me to preserve and remember what I was doing. I know, I know it is weird to share my tragic loss and life with the world but that was not my intent. I then shared with a few friends . . . I knew my friends had questions about me and how I was really doing. It was a window into my world . . . I have been very open with my life the last two years but I know some don't feel comfortable asking those personal questions . . . this was a way for me to answer without them having to ask. I don't mind strangers checking in and reading what I write. I am always hesitant to write about the in-laws because it is a very sticky topic. My rule is that if I won't verbalize my thoughts to them then I can't write them either. I think that is pretty fair. I have had a ton of thoughts but have never written them because I don't think it is right . . . okay, enough about that topic. I will continue to write and I am sure I will continue to upset someone . . . oh well, so is life!

I also got a message that two of my three summer school kiddos passed their test so they get to go to 4th grade . . . can I say that I am totally amazed! I should have had some sort of contract offering a monetary bonus for each child that passed . . . just kidding. I did my job and that makes me feel good . . . wish all could have passed but honestly I did not expect any of them to pass. I think I was pretty successful with my two jobs this past year . . . I only had 21 days with the summer school kids . . . they had already failed the test two times so I was happy with the results. My regular job of teaching math was good too . . . only had one fail and have to repeat 5th grade . . . she failed every quarter with her regular classroom teacher too so I don't think it was me. A warm fuzzy kind of feeling . . . maybe we will stay one more day and leave on Friday instead of tomorrow . . . really, we are enjoying our time here with the family.

6 Comments:

Blogger keri said...

Heidi - AMEN. I hope you don't mind me reading - I am a total stranger who happened upon your blog and am a support of the troops. I really enjoy reading about Colin and Sean, even though I don't know you. You seems like such a nice person. I hope you continue to feel like you can express yourself on your blog.

May you enjoy your dinner tonight & the rest of the time with Sean's family.

Take Care of yourself, Heidi.
Keri

7/12/2006 6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi, you know I'm with you on the being protective thing. I would rather be over-protective and have my child safe than 'give in' to either my MIL or even my own mom. And I'm tired of hearing "We did it that way when you were young and you survived" ~ which I answer "only by the grace of God."

I'm so glad you're enjoying your visit. BTW, how's Murphy doing? Still spoiled rotten?

7/13/2006 3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to say congratulations on the success of your kids in the class! Goes to show what a great and inspiring teacher you are.

7/13/2006 4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you "sort of" but feel a real connection to you. You, Sean and Colin are in my heart and prayers so much of the time.
Thank you for the blog. I enjoy reading it and have it saved on my "favorites".
GOD Bless you
Jenna's Mom

7/13/2006 9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi--I knew you could get through to those kiddos!!! You just made my job easier next year! I owe you one!
Thanks!
-Misty

7/13/2006 9:32 AM  
Blogger Muriel said...

Congratulation on the success of your kids! I do know if you remember Paul Carrisoza. He was in your 6th grade class in Vilseck. He was a straight A student last year and I am sure that you had something to do with it. I know that he wanted you to know that.

7/13/2006 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home