Thursday, May 01, 2008

Class of 2008

It is not yet Friday but here is the photo I have been wanting for Foto Friday and I finally found it . .

Why? Well I have been thinking about these kids lately. You see I was their teacher when they were 5th graders and now seven years later, they are seniors. I can not believe it and wonder where they are now? Can you tell who were the class clowns? See the girl in the middle with the jersey 79? She is that tall in 5th grade . . . she was taller and bigger than me. If you walked into the classroom you would have thought she was the teacher but nope she was the student. I can even remember their names but two . . . I just can't remember exactly how they are spelled . . . no, I did not have them written down . . .
sitting on floor: Heidi, Louis, Stephanie, Remington
next row: Alisha,Kaylee,David,Connie,Kyrie,Philip
next: Alina,Kennith,Santay,Quanessa,Alfredo, Zachary,Kelly
top: me,Corey,Quadasia,Dominique,Rebecca,Ryan,Terry

Yep, all military brats. Terry (top right corner) lost his father in Iraq. Terry's mom used to make the best Korean food and bring it to me . . . I loved how thoughtful Korean moms were. I wonder if any of them had life changing events in their young lives . . . anyone drop out of school . . . maybe in prison . . . I just wonder how they turned out. It was a fun year and a huge year since it was my first year as the 'real teacher' . . . no sharing with a sub or anyone else. They were my first official real class that started the year with me and finished with me. Let me tell you there were a few boys that almost drove me crazy; really crazy but they were just boys. Oh crap, I hope my boy doesn't act like some of them but I know he might. I wonder who is headed to college and where . . . there were some smart kids and some not so smart kids in the class . . . some had a harder life than others . . . how Julie (not pictured) is doing since she moved in mid-year but joined us in Paris . . . and some were just blessed with amazing parents.

I have had a couple . . . okay exactly two . . . of my former students leave comments on the blog and it really warms my heart to know how they are doing. I miss having such a diverse group of students that a military school overseas always provided.

So here is to them as they begin their last month of high school . . . if you find this, please email me and let me know how you are doing. I know I wasn't always the best or nicest teacher but I truly did care for each and everyone of them . . . I hope they understand that my goal was to make sure they learned.

And how we ended the school year . . . in Paris . . . oh how I wonder if they realize how amazingly lucky they were to experience a week in Paris at such an early age? Heck I was in my late 20s and I was so overcome with the wow factor . . .



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so loving your Foto Friday!! So interesting.

As I was reading about your 5th graders, I realized ~wow~ FG will be in 5th grade come September. And in 7 short years she'll be graduating from H.S. AAGGH!

Another thing you've done is given me a reminder that I should start up with my Flashback Fridays again. It's been a long hiatus.

5/02/2008 6:49 AM  
Blogger C said...

Showing your old photos has really inspired me. I am currently looking into buying a scanner so I can upload some pics of M and hopefuly have them made into a photo book for Cheyenne.

I also just ordered a DVD recorder so I can transfer my VHS tapes of him to DVD. I CAN'T WAIT!

5/02/2008 11:23 AM  
Blogger MQ said...

I love looking at old photos. It's a good reminder to cherish the moments we have. I'm going to go color with Asher right now!

p.s. my heart aches for your student, and Colin, and all the little boys and girls who didn't get a lifetime with their moms and dads...

5/02/2008 1:24 PM  
Blogger ABW said...

I'm sure that you had a lasting effect on those students!

And in 5th grade we went to Washington on the Brazos. I was robbed, lol.

5/03/2008 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops--I posted a comment about one of our students in the previous blog entry by accident! But Remington is STILL IN VILSECK! Can you believe it?

Kim Hernandez

5/04/2008 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi.
Love the photos - What a flash back! I miss those Paris trips, even if they were such hard work after 9-11! Laura has been bugging me to take her back there! Take care, Cathy

5/06/2008 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home