Saturday, March 26, 2011

together again

It has been a sad few days for all the Sims family . . . again Colin is learning all too well about life and death. Sometimes I just don't know what to tell him and this time we had to discuss a new topic (cremation). Murphy was born in Germany and died in the US. It is hard to believe that just 9 years ago he came to live with us . . . of course I was very hesitant because I knew who would really be taking care of his needs BUT how can one say no to this sweet pup?

Of course Sean loved Murphy so much and of course Murphy did no wrong in his eyes . . .
But of course this is always what Murphy left me . . .
. . . there were also times when even the not so pet friendly Heidi would get some love from Murphy too . . .
. . . he really was like a big baby. And when this little boy was born, Murphy wasn't too sure what the heck was going on . . .


. . . but Colin and Murphy formed a bond. When Sean came home for R&R in July/August 2004, the two were always close by . . .


. . . he even figured out how to get on the trampoline with Colin and Sean too. I always wondered if Murphy knew something happened to Sean. Did he know he had died? Was he waiting for Sean to come see him again? Did he think Sean abandoned him? This was taken the last day they were together . . . the day before Sean headed back to Iraq . . .
Colin always loved when Murphy would come to visit . . . he asked about Murphy all the time, and I would tell him how much Murphy meant to his daddy and how much Sean just loved Murphy.
And while we did not get to see Murphy as much as we would have wished,
he was loved very much and well taken care of by the Sims . . . we are both going to miss your visits to our backyard. It has been hard for me in the fact it was one piece of Sean left behind . . . someone that Sean loved so much and yet he has left us too. I think Mr. Sims said it best when he wrote this yesterday . . . At 5:12 pm our beloved Murphy departed this world to meet his master and to run with him together through the Elysian Fields, a place in Greek mythology which is the final resting place of the heroic and virtuous.

Murphy was only 9 but lived a very good life. In the end it was cancer that he was not able to overcome. One of my fondest memories of Murphy was Sean teaching him to swim . . . well if by teaching you mean walking to the end of the dock and throwing him into the water. From that day forward we could not keep him out of water and Mr. Sims made sure he was able to go for a swim on his last days. We will all miss you Murphy, but we know there is one happy boy in heaven tonight too.

Murphy
June 12, 2001-March 25, 2011

15 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. As for if he knew that Sean died, I think dogs know. My dad's dog seemed to know, my dad spent the last month of his life in the hospital and every day the dog would lay in his spot on the couch where he laid sick before the hospitalization. It was like Dapper Dog was trying to keep it warm but the night my dad died he left the spot and never went back.

No matter the age of the boy there is nothing that can touch the bond that is a boy and his dog.

3/26/2011 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Laurel said...

What a beautiful tribute, Heidi.

3/26/2011 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Ruth H said...

You have me sitting here crying. We do love our animal companions, my sister quotes a Bible verse which tells her that we will see them in heaven. I will get it to send you so you can tell it to Colin.

3/26/2011 7:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So sorry for your new loss, Heidi. Even though he didn't live with you and Colin these last years, his passing will leave a hole in your heart. Dan and I still talk about our cat as if she is here, and she died thirteen years ago. Pets are truly family members -- I think they know when family members are sick or die. I can just picture Sean and Murphy rolling on a soft cloud and laughing and loving and playing. You've feel you've lost another piece of Sean but that piece of the life you had together has gone to Sean for safekeeping now -- I can't write as eloquently as you do but I hope you know what I mean.
Warm wishes, Sue K.

3/26/2011 8:09 PM  
Blogger Brenna said...

This makes me sad- losing our beloved dog two years ago was tough- so I send my thoughts your way to get through this!!

3/27/2011 7:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Awww, I'm crying too...

3/27/2011 7:23 PM  
Blogger ABW said...

Now I am a blubbering mess.

3/30/2011 9:24 AM  
Blogger keri said...

Heidi, what a wonderful tribute. Thinking of you.

3/30/2011 2:46 PM  
Blogger T Ridgeway said...

Sad that you had to say goodbye to Murphy, but love the quote from Sean's dad. I just bet they are together in heaven having a big time. Thinking of you.

Love, T

3/30/2011 10:34 PM  
Blogger KMcD said...

I am so sorry to hear about Murphy. Of course this is so sad for you and Colin, knowing how much Sean loved that sweet dog. The pictures are too precious, especially the one of Sean and Colin on the trampoline. They both look so happy.

Hugs to you and Colin.
K-

3/31/2011 2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute of Murphy. He was such a handsome dog and so loved!

4/05/2011 3:44 PM  
Blogger soldierdeb said...

Hugs to you and Colin. Murphy sounds amazing

4/10/2011 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If that's not a tear jerker, I don't know what is. I read on your blog one time that Murphy always seemed to be looking for Sean when you and Colin would visit. Geez, that made me cry too. God Bless you, brave woman.

Jennifer

4/13/2011 6:40 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Heidi,

I just saw this. So sad for you. I am sure he and Winston are running around together. I am sure he is with Sean and they are playing together. Much love to you and Colin.

4/24/2011 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Theresa said...

oh I have tears in my eyes...
Murphy was just a great dog. We loved to go out for walks with him. He was such a crazy dog :-)I think Murphy, Wendy and Nico were a great team.
I'm sure he is now with Sean.
We miss you all. :-(
Theresa

12/03/2011 6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home