Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Remembering Sean

Another year and again I am wondering what I could say this year.  For nine years this day has been one that brings back so many vivid memories . . . some days it feels like yesterday and others it seems so much longer.  I am always amazed at what I remember and just how painful it can be too.  As you can imagine there is nothing that I can say that is good from that day or at least that is what I always thought.

Last week Colin asked me if Sean was on TV when he died.  I am not exactly sure what prompted that, but it made me think about the show on the History Channel Shootout Return to Fallujah . . . you can click HERE to watch it on YouTube.  I did not know what to say but told him that there was a show that talked about Sean's company of soldiers and that some day when he is older I will show him.  Of course for me I had not seen it since it originally aired several years ago.  So I went online, found it, and watched it again.  What did we do before the internet?  While I watched the show it still amazed me that they are talking about my Sean; still nine years later it does not feel real to me.  And then it hit me . . . I knew exactly what I wanted to write today . . . I found my something positive.  While it might seem impossible to find anything good that happened that day; I did.  Sean loved being a soldier . . . he used to tell me it was all he ever wanted to do . . . so he was doing exactly what he wanted to do that day.  The soldiers that were with Sean at that moment . . . at that house on 13 November 2004 around midday  . . . the soldiers in his company that risked their own lives to make sure Sean was not left behind.  I know it is a part of the Soldier's creed to leave no man behind and they did not.  It just took me several years for it to sink in and truly appreciate it.  This is what I am most thankful for . . . and while that first sight of Sean when I saw him is something I will never, ever forget . . . I am glad I got that . . . some sort of closure as I can not imagine not having that moment . . . the always wondering . . . the what ifs would eat away all the time.  While I know they know this and do not expect it; THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.

I still think about all the guys in Alpha Company 2-2 . . . more often than you might imagine.  I can not imagine the pain they too had to experience in the middle of a combat zone with such intense fighting.  I am more thankful than words can express.  I used to keep up with a few of them from time to time; sadly over the years I have lost track.  Always in my thoughts of course.  I hope they are doing well too . . . I know they too will never, ever forget.  They must soldier on and live life to the fullest . . . I would expect nothing less and Sean would be disappointed if they did not! 

Nine years . . . still shake my head and shed many tears for what we all have missed . . . so I end with my all time favorite photo of Sean in Iraq.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Laurel said...

Dear Heidi ~ The picture in the newspaper of Sean leading his company of men on a mission still hangs on my Fallen Heroes wall to this day. I look at Sean's picture, and all the others, and take a moment every day to reflect on our heroes, and on their service to our country, and to think about the families they left behind. I'm glad you post a remembrance of Sean every year. I think it's so important to keep his memory alive. Some day, when Colin is older and he reads your tributes to Sean, it will mean so much to him, and will help him to truly appreciate the dad he never got to know. Love and hugs to you and Colin. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of the two of you. Laurel xoxoxox

11/15/2013 10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi, you have honored Sean so lovingly every year, and Laurel is right - that will mean so much to Colin when he is older. Sean watches with joy and pride as you raise his son to be as strong and steady a man as he was. You are a strong, amazing woman, and I feel honored to know you! ~Sue K.

11/18/2013 9:24 PM  
Blogger ABW said...

An amazing tribute to an amazing man. Colin will know of his legacy, and the example that he set for so may people. The example you have set it an amazing tribute as well. Love you!

12/24/2013 1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home