Alpha Company
I don't think many of the former Alpha Company soldiers read this but really want to talk about them today. After Sean was killed, one of my first thoughts was for them. I worried about them and wondered how they were doing. The last thing Sean would have wanted was for them to just give up . . . I knew they would carry on and finish the mission. They were at war and had no time to let their emotions become involved. They knew he would be very disappointed if they did not continue. I often wonder what they thought about Sean. Did they like him? Did they think he was to blame for his own death? Was he a fair commander? The list goes on and on.
Sean could not wait to be a company commander . . . in fact he waited a very long 3 years for his command . . . gotta love the 1ID command wait! He took command so quickly and it was anything but normal circumstances. I would often ask how the company was doing and he would always say great! He said he always felt that they were a great company and he never worried about his well being. I often asked if command was all it was cracked up to be . . . he said absolutely. It was everything he had hoped for in a company. I am sure there were a few that caused him headaches but for the most part they were all good soldiers. He said he thought he really got to see them not only as soldiers but as men . . . doesn't that sound sappy! He pondered getting out of the Army but said he was not going to make any decisions until after company command. I accepted his position.
In May, I spent many hours with soldiers in Alpha Company just talking . . . talking about Fallujah, talking about Sean, and getting to know the soldiers. They had just spent 9 months in Iraq with him so they knew about that time. I am so grateful that so many agreed to talk to me. It was obvious that is was just as hard for them as it was for me. They must have been so nervous about what I wanted to know. There is one thing that was never on my mind . . . blame. I did not want any of them to think that I blamed them for Sean's death. I had made one request of the current Alpha Company commander (and our friend). . . I really wanted to have the guidon that Sean used because I knew that Colin would cherish it someday. I told him that I wanted to frame it. He said that would not be a problem. What I wasn't expecting is what I got . . .

I remember the day that I saw it. I was going to the company area to see some of Sean's belongings that had been left in Iraq. The first thing I saw what his Kevlar helmet and that was very emotional for me. I then glanced to my right and on an easel was the framed guidon. I said that I would like to get the soldiers to sign the back . . . already done! I could not have asked for anything more beautiful and then when I read the plaque's inscription, I lost it again.
Sean could not wait to be a company commander . . . in fact he waited a very long 3 years for his command . . . gotta love the 1ID command wait! He took command so quickly and it was anything but normal circumstances. I would often ask how the company was doing and he would always say great! He said he always felt that they were a great company and he never worried about his well being. I often asked if command was all it was cracked up to be . . . he said absolutely. It was everything he had hoped for in a company. I am sure there were a few that caused him headaches but for the most part they were all good soldiers. He said he thought he really got to see them not only as soldiers but as men . . . doesn't that sound sappy! He pondered getting out of the Army but said he was not going to make any decisions until after company command. I accepted his position.
In May, I spent many hours with soldiers in Alpha Company just talking . . . talking about Fallujah, talking about Sean, and getting to know the soldiers. They had just spent 9 months in Iraq with him so they knew about that time. I am so grateful that so many agreed to talk to me. It was obvious that is was just as hard for them as it was for me. They must have been so nervous about what I wanted to know. There is one thing that was never on my mind . . . blame. I did not want any of them to think that I blamed them for Sean's death. I had made one request of the current Alpha Company commander (and our friend). . . I really wanted to have the guidon that Sean used because I knew that Colin would cherish it someday. I told him that I wanted to frame it. He said that would not be a problem. What I wasn't expecting is what I got . . .

I remember the day that I saw it. I was going to the company area to see some of Sean's belongings that had been left in Iraq. The first thing I saw what his Kevlar helmet and that was very emotional for me. I then glanced to my right and on an easel was the framed guidon. I said that I would like to get the soldiers to sign the back . . . already done! I could not have asked for anything more beautiful and then when I read the plaque's inscription, I lost it again.
Presented to
Colin Patrick Sims
In memory of your father, CPT Sean Patrick Sims. Under this guidon
your father lead us courageously in combat operations in
Muqdadiyah, An Najaf, and Fallujah Iraq. His bravery, leadership,
and sacrifice will never be forgotten.
From
The men of Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Infantry Regiment
To the soldiers and families of Alpha Company: Sean never got to tell you how much he enjoyed being your commander and how much he appreciated the sacrifices the families made but he did. And now I tell you that Colin and I both appreciated the beautiful gift and the savings bonds . . . I always knew that Alpha Company had great families, and I was honored to be one of you! THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!

6 Comments:
Whew...that is definitely very touching. Seems like a day doesn't pass lately where I don't spend some time tearing up in front of the computer. What a beautiful gift for Colin and yourself.
Heidi as a wife of Alpha Company thank you for all that you did for the wives. I still have my HOOAH pin that you gave me. My husband has said several times that your husband was an amazing leader and a great man. Your husband will never be forgotten by anyone who use to be in Alpha Company. I think about you and Colin often and I hope that you find peace in knowing that you husband was an amazing man and someone that you should be extremly proud of.
P.S. I cried watching all the soldiers sign the guidon for Colin...it was an incredible thing to see them all lined up waiting to sign it.
Oh man.... that's incredible. I just love it. What a treasure.
This is yet one more story which proves the tremendous love Sean had for others, as it is returned to him. You are reaping what he sowed.
Oh Heidi. That is the most touching thing I can imagine anyone doing both for Sean and Colin. What a treasure! Hopefully this will give Colin a glimpse of the impact his father had on the people who knew him, how loved and respected he was, and what a great, courageous leader. This is amazing!
(by the way...I haven't been by for a couple of days...didn't think I could read it till now)
Wow, I was tearing up even before reading the inscription. My co-workers probably think I cry at the drop of a hat.
This was a wonderful gesture of the company. From my 10 years around the military (girlfriend and then spouse), I honestly think that the combat arms units seem to be more put together. Not that my husband's unit isn't (okay well don't ask about the FRG) but that there is thing undescribable sense of commaradery that is just a touch above.
This is just another example how they go just a hint above to help out - bully for them!
HH6
Post a Comment
<< Home