Veterans' Day
May you find a quiet moment this
VETERANS' DAY
to reflect on our many blessings ...
... freedom, family, friendship,liberty, and love ...
...and remember those who sacrificed for the peace and security of all.
... freedom, family, friendship,liberty, and love ...
...and remember those who sacrificed for the peace and security of all.
I would like to include a poem that was shared on a message board for a project I have participated in . . . Marine Comfort Quilts . . . if you sew you should check it out.
Mommy, What is a Veteran?
© 1998 by Linda Ellis
"Mommy, what is a veteran?"
my child asked in an innocent way.
"and could you please explain to me
why we have a Veteran's Day?"
My mind searched for the adjectives
that might help me clarify
those people, who for their country
have looked death in the eye.
I quickly grabbed the dictionary
to see what Webster may have used
but "one who served in the armed forces"
were not the words that I would choose.
But, how do you describe a veteran;
soldiers you have never met.
those you'll never know the names of
and yet never will forget?
How do you describe a veteran?
How do you convey a definition
for those who brought this country's dreams
to their ultimate fruition?
How do you describe a veteran;
strangers who fought for you.
Men and women who risked their lives
for people they never knew?
How do you describe a veteran
and the sacrifices they made
so that you and your children's children
could live free and unafraid?
How do you describe a veteran for a child's sake?
You say "a veteran is a person to whom we owe every breath we take."
Two simple words say it all . . . THANK YOU!

5 Comments:
Thanks for the link to the quilts. I was just in Virginia for a sibling reunion. Six of us live in Texas the oldest lives in Virginia. He and his wife are in poor health. His 47 year old daughter has ovarian cancer, is on her third recurrence and chemo. My youngest sister started a family project of a quilt for Cindy with a square from each of her siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, mother and father. She started the project on Sept 1st and asked for the squares back by Sept 21 so she could have it put together by Nov 3. We all contributed our squares and some with big bucks also. Well, I am so proud of my little sister, (poor baby, the last of seven and she is only 57!) she made her first quilt and it is so beautiful. We bought her an award! Cindy was so thrilled with the quilt, and since she was visiting her parents to visit with her aunts and uncle, she immediately curled up on the couch wrapped in her quilt of love and prayers.
I can imagine that the military quilts are also made of love and prayers. What a wonderful tribute. I've sent my sister a link to the quilt site.
Also I wonder is Linda Ellis, the author of the poem, the same Linda Ellis, a cousin on the other side, to my niece Cindy? She is a sweety and could do something like that.
Heidi,
Thank you for your glowing tribute to our men & women serving in the Armed Forces for our freedom. It's hard for me to realize that Jason is a veteran. I've always associated veterans with those little old men handing out poppies on days like today. Now, it is a noun that has more of a personal meaning to me and describes many individuals, young and old. I hope that we all take a few minutes to realize the sacrifices that many have made throughout the years in order to maintain our freedom and secure it for others.
Happy Veteran's Day!
Teresa
I am so sorry for your loss. Your husband is remembered today by me and thousands of others.
A soldier from our division died in Iraq recently and I'm on the support team. I've never really had to deal with death and I was just wondering if you had any advice in this situation. What helps? What hurts? Sorry I just ran across your blog so I haven't read the previous posts where you probably have written about this already. Your insight would be appreciated. We remember you too on this Veteran's Day.
P.S. My husband is in Fallujah as well.
Best,Monique
Sorry, one more thing. I hope you don't mind that I linked to your blog. Please let me know if you'd rather I take it down.
Best,
Monique
You are a solid pillar, Heidi. Take care of yourself and Colin. Sean will revel in your happiness.
Buddy
Post a Comment
<< Home