Lost
Last night I decided to clean up all my files on the computers . . . I first started with my parents' computer. I used it when I arrived back home last year until mine arrived earlier this year. I stumbled across a Word document that had the Yahoo Messenger Instant Messenger achieves. I had saved them last summer while Sean was in Iraq, and I was in Texas for the summer. It was so much fun to read what we wrote about. I then remembered that I had not saved the archives from our computer in Germany. We had started using the voice conferencing but also typed . . . I am sure you can tell where this is going. They are LOST forever . . . I guess it only archived the messages for 30 days and it has been a year . . . one small piece of our lives together that is gone. It really caused me sadness but at least I have the achieves from Summer of 2004. I wanted to read exactly what we wrote about in our last conversation. At least I have a pretty good memory and have some idea . . . gotta get writing!

3 Comments:
I know what you mean. I forgot to archive a bunch of the last text messages Ernie and I sent to each other. One more thing lost. Suddenly having all of our emails and letters archived on my computer's hard drive didn't seem safe enough. I decided to save everything on a portable USB drive too....just in case anything happens to my computer.
I did the same thing with the answering machine. I had a message from Justin's mother saved - she died in September while he was deployed - and I accidentally deleted it with the other messages. He doesn't even know there was a message, but I feel badly that he didn't have the opportunity to keep a record of her voice. But like a lot of stuff you agonize over, I'm probably making a bigger deal out of it than he would!
My boyfriend saves our IM conversations. It warms my heart to know he does that. Sometimes, I go back and read the ones I have and it makes me so giddy. I can't imagine how sad you were when you realized the ones from Germany were lost. I know you have them in memory, but being able to read the exact words is priceless.
Post a Comment
<< Home