November 9, 2004
The reality of war hit very close to home today. I received a call from the CDC to pick Colin up because he had a rash . . . they suspected it was the hand, foot, and mouth disease . . . whatever! When I walked into the center, I immediately sensed something was wrong. I looked over my shoulder and the wife of the brigade XO was crying and had been doing so for some time. I wondered if she had received some bad news or something had happened to her husband. I did not know what to do or say. I just stood there, and then the FRG leader of Alpha Company pulled me aside. She too had a worried look on her face so I knew the news was not good. She told me that the 2-2 CSM had been killed. I was in shock. I could not believe what I was hearing . . . what happened? How was his wife? Kids? What could I go? You just feel so helpless but I knew the wives would pull together and help the family.
I picked up Colin and called for an appointment at the clinic. In the mean time, I called my "wife" who happened to be on lunch break. She too had heard the news, and she knew I would be upset. I picked her up and we drove around post just talking . . . my worries for Sean grew even more. I wanted to go by and give Tonya a big hug but did not know if that was the right thing to do. I know if it were me the last thing I would want would be company. I thought about her a lot and the girls too. Little did I know that in a couple of days my life would be changed too.
I picked up Colin and called for an appointment at the clinic. In the mean time, I called my "wife" who happened to be on lunch break. She too had heard the news, and she knew I would be upset. I picked her up and we drove around post just talking . . . my worries for Sean grew even more. I wanted to go by and give Tonya a big hug but did not know if that was the right thing to do. I know if it were me the last thing I would want would be company. I thought about her a lot and the girls too. Little did I know that in a couple of days my life would be changed too.
In Memory of CSM Faulkenburg


1 Comments:
Neil came over for dinner Thursday night, and the three of us raised a glass for CSM Faulkenburg...
Post a Comment
<< Home