Black Monday
I keep hearing that today is 'black Monday' . . . where all the internet sites have great sales but I have always thought of it being Black Monday for another reason. Sean's funeral was the Monday after Thanksgiving.
I remember it being a very long day . . .
I remember sitting in the hotel room in my robe with my wet hair watching television and hearing about a helicopter crashing. My heart sank because I knew that some other ladies would soon be joining me as a 'widow'. Ironically, this helicopter crashed not far from where my parents live and where Colin and I would be living too. Over the last two years I have become friends with one of the ladies who lost her husband . . . she is so funny and I wish she would not have moved to NC.
I remember sitting there thinking that if I did not get dressed the events would not happen and therefore Sean must still be in Iraq.
I remember Jon D. stopping by my room early to make sure I was on time and to take me for the very last time to see Sean. I wanted to freeze that moment because it was the end so to speak.
I remember that we were whisked away from the funeral home by police escort and were at St. Mary's in a couple of minutes . . . my heart sank when we pulled up and I saw news cameras, how could they invade such a private moment? I must admit they were very discreet and kept their distance never once approaching me.
I remember my knees become weak as I walked down the long aisle of St. Mary's . . . there were so many people. I felt frail. I must have been as pale as a ghost and had lost a lot of weight.
I remember how beautiful the songs sounds and the singers were amazing. I missed my favorite, Ave Maria, because they sang it before Sean and I entered. I know he would have approved of the music.
I remember the drive to the cemetery because so many stopped their cars and stood on the median with their hands on their hearts or their caps/hats removed.
I remember looking at the Honor Guard from Fort Hood and how young they looked. I knew they hated being there but were honored to remember Sean.
I remember seeing and hugging many familiar faces that I had not seen in years.
I remember how silent it was and that I heard a camera clicking.
I remember thinking that the stupid tent was getting on my nerves and wished that I had told them to not put one over the grave.
I remember the General stepping on the two roses I brought to place on top of Sean's casket. It was a tight area so no harm done . . . it made me laugh.
I remember how glad I was when it was over but how heartbroken I felt.
I remember how tiny Colin was and my heart hurt for what he was going to miss the rest of his life.
I remember going back to the hotel because I was exhausted. I was ready to go home but not face reality.
I remember today and every day, always . . .
I remember it being a very long day . . .
I remember sitting in the hotel room in my robe with my wet hair watching television and hearing about a helicopter crashing. My heart sank because I knew that some other ladies would soon be joining me as a 'widow'. Ironically, this helicopter crashed not far from where my parents live and where Colin and I would be living too. Over the last two years I have become friends with one of the ladies who lost her husband . . . she is so funny and I wish she would not have moved to NC.
I remember sitting there thinking that if I did not get dressed the events would not happen and therefore Sean must still be in Iraq.
I remember Jon D. stopping by my room early to make sure I was on time and to take me for the very last time to see Sean. I wanted to freeze that moment because it was the end so to speak.
I remember that we were whisked away from the funeral home by police escort and were at St. Mary's in a couple of minutes . . . my heart sank when we pulled up and I saw news cameras, how could they invade such a private moment? I must admit they were very discreet and kept their distance never once approaching me.
I remember my knees become weak as I walked down the long aisle of St. Mary's . . . there were so many people. I felt frail. I must have been as pale as a ghost and had lost a lot of weight.
I remember how beautiful the songs sounds and the singers were amazing. I missed my favorite, Ave Maria, because they sang it before Sean and I entered. I know he would have approved of the music.
I remember the drive to the cemetery because so many stopped their cars and stood on the median with their hands on their hearts or their caps/hats removed.
I remember looking at the Honor Guard from Fort Hood and how young they looked. I knew they hated being there but were honored to remember Sean.
I remember seeing and hugging many familiar faces that I had not seen in years.
I remember how silent it was and that I heard a camera clicking.
I remember thinking that the stupid tent was getting on my nerves and wished that I had told them to not put one over the grave.
I remember the General stepping on the two roses I brought to place on top of Sean's casket. It was a tight area so no harm done . . . it made me laugh.
I remember how glad I was when it was over but how heartbroken I felt.
I remember how tiny Colin was and my heart hurt for what he was going to miss the rest of his life.
I remember going back to the hotel because I was exhausted. I was ready to go home but not face reality.
I remember today and every day, always . . .

14 Comments:
Heidi,
The Ave Maria was absolutely beautiful. We will always remember that day...Sean...and you and Colin. Love and hugs to both of you....
Bless you, dear Heidi! My thoughts and prayers are with you today.
Heidi,
You are such an amazing and strong woman! Our thoughts and prayers are with you today as you remember Sean.
Oh Heidi...);
We had a prayer vigil today for some very ill family members. I wish I had thought to include you. My prayers are with you now. From time to time I mention your blog and your loss and each time a little prayer goes up for you.
Your strength amazes me. Collin is very lucky. Sean is a very lucky man to have such a powerful woman that loves him. The three of you are always in my thoughts.
Thinking of you and Colin today.
I am sure the next 3 months will be hard as well...the Holidays, and with colin just starting to enjoy them more and more...
it is a black Monday...
Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you...
PLEASE.
and prayers sent upward.
A black Monday for sure...the three of you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Just thinking about you and sending you a hug through the computer.
Heidi - your strenght amazes me. I am sure Sean is very proud of you.
I wish I could just give you a big hug right now. I'm thinking of you.
Heidi, keep blogging and talking. I don't know you in person to talk and ask how everything is, so this is so important. Sending you a hug and all the good feelings I can.
Black Monday indeed. I'm sorry :(
But I hope you never stop blogging; for your sake and everyone else who has come to "know" you.
Post a Comment
<< Home