Speechless
There are very times in life that I have been surprised. On February 14, 1998, Sean surprised me by proposing . . . I was so caught off guard and hard to believe that was 9 years ago. Fast forward to today . . . we had our first visitors to our house. A few weeks ago the Norris Trio mentioned having the day off and wanted to come visit us . . . I was thrilled to see someone from our days in Germany. I met Nancy while at Vilseck . . . Jenny and I signed up to setup a table for A&M at the local college night and Nancy signed up too since we all graduated from A&M . . . small world isn't it! I got to meet Ben and it was nice to visit and have an adult conversation! We looked at the house and Nancy mentioned she had a little something in the truck if I could help her bring it in. So we went outside and Peter took the cover off the truck bed . . . the back was packed with stuff. I asked which one and she said, "all of them." What? I was soooo confused as what it was . . . her son is much younger so it could not be hand-me downs. She was smiling (if you know Nancy, she has a very big smile) and I was still confused. We unloaded and she told me what all this really was. I was SHOCKED to say the least. Several friends had planned a surprise housewarming party for us. I know in the pictures I must look so unhappy but I was so touched and how so many managed to do this . . . it was so overwhelming. Colin was thrilled with all the 'prizes' that he did not know what to do. He loved ripping all the paper off. As I opened each gift, I thought about the giver and how much thought went into each gift. I can not say THANK YOU enough . . . it was one time I was VERY surprised and so touched . . . so many of you have already done so much for me the last two years.
Peter took many photos but here is one I took before I became zoned out . . . Colin and Ben were checking things out . . .

Colin decided he needed to take photos . . . thank goodness for digital because he took 20 of the ceiling, floor, wall; but one of me . . .
So I have one funny story . . . the first box I opened was a waffle iron . . . I was like this is a nice waffle iron we can make them tomorrow for breakfast. I continued to open boxes and read cards . . . about 15 minutes later Colin stepped on the waffle iron box and it collapsed. I told Nancy that I don't think it is a waffle iron in there . . . so I opened the box and it was a project that two special people have been working on for a long time . . . it was a quilt with photos of Sean, Colin, and me . . . of course I got teary eyed. I just loved EVERYTHING and knowing how much love went into each one means the most to me! If you are ever in my area, you always have a place to stay!
Peter took many photos but here is one I took before I became zoned out . . . Colin and Ben were checking things out . . .
Colin decided he needed to take photos . . . thank goodness for digital because he took 20 of the ceiling, floor, wall; but one of me . . .

12 Comments:
Heidi - is it okay to be confused? Because I don't know what's going on. Was it a surprise houswarming (I'm guessing)? And I wish I would have known about it because we totally would have sent a gift!
Happy Housewarming, Heidi! And we might take you up on that offer - we're going cross country on a motorcycle in August. Oda Mae
Sorry about that - clearly I had a toddler on my lap when I was reading earlier and missed the housewarming sentence. Oopsie.
What wonderful blessings these individuals are in your life.
May you have many more blessings come your way!
michele
lettersfromnyc.mu.nu
Aww thats awesome! I'm so happy for you. You have a lot of people in your life that really care about you and Colin!
Happy housewarming!
Heidi~glad you were surprised! I so didn't want to let the cat out of the bag when you mentioned the Norris' visiting :) I wished I could have been there for the surprise but I was there in spirit! Even while we were here in Palau, I thought about you at the time Nancy should have been at your house. Hope you'll post photos of the special gifts.
KGB! Your computer must have screened out the evite because you were on the list ~ sorry about the mix up.
SURPRISE!!! I'm so glad everything went well. I'm so bad with keeping secrets too. Especially good ones like babies and surprises!
I only wish we could have been there to see you. Hope you have many many more good days in your new home!
Smiles!
Angie
I was so worried that my present did not make it in time...but then I saw it in the picture!:0) We all care about you and Colin very much and we all wanted to do something to make your house a home. Enjoy all the goodies.:0)
Not sure if our present made it in time. We loved the idea of the secret mission, SURPRISE HOUSEWARMING PARTY for Heidi and Colin!
Hope your house feels homey soon!
Hugs, PAW (unknown) :)
Heidi & Colin,
Although I have not had the pleasure of meeting you, I feel as though I know you both. My sister, Stephanie Berndt, has the nicest things to say about you. She told me about your blog page and I have been reading about your lives for over a year now. The ups, the downs and everything in between. Your stories about Sean have truly touched my heart! I have prayed for you both so much and I wanted to do something special for you. But what do you do for someone you don't even know? Then, Steph and I came up with the idea of making you a memory quilt. We thought it would be a small way for you both to remember Sean. We thought that someday you could tell Colin about each picture and the special memories they hold.
I hope you like the quilt and I want you to know that it was made with a lot of love! I cried when I gave it to Steph to mail to you. Everytime I make a memory quilt, I become very attached to it. The pictures are so personal, it's like they become part of me, walking right into my heart. This quilt touched me on a very deep level. So, when I gave Stephanie the quilt, I cried for you, I cried for Colin and I cried for everyone who knew and loved Sean.
I wish you and Colin all the best! May you continue to make new memories together while keeping the old ones close to your heart!
Enjoy your new home!!
Jennifer Henke
scentedsmiles@sbcglobal.net
Glad you had a good time...I just wish we all could've been there to give you the presents in person!
What a beautiful gift, and wonderful friends!
Post a Comment
<< Home