where to begin?
I have not idea where to even begin . . . right now I am at the Sims hanging out in a house where the AC broke over 24 hours ago . . . yes, we are in Texas where it is oh so very hot but tomorrow morning they are coming to fix it . . . so on with what we have been up to.
First, I am glad I went to the dedication. It was one of those events that can never happen again . . . well okay so it was a re-dedication. Now let me say this . . . it was hot in Kansas . . . I mean hot and we were sitting under a huge tent . . . I could see the flags and trees whipping in the wind but it sure wasn't coming our way. It was a nice dedication. There were some bagpipers who were awesome and one guy sang this song that was just amazing. I know Sean would have loved the music since it was almost Irish. As I sat there I had a "why am I here" feeling . . . it was strange but I quickly snapped out of it and remembered that I was there for Colin. Of course he really did not understand but he was there and that is what mattered to me. I will say that I thought he was well behaved considering it was so hot and it lasted about 75 minutes. Thank goodness Mrs. Iwan gave him a multi-colored pen and paper because that kept him entertained for a long time.
Speaking of Mr. and Mrs. Iwan . . . I finally got to meet them, give Mrs. Iwan a hug and shed a few tears. They were just so nice and sweet. FYI: Sean's XO, LT Ed Iwan, was killed just two days before Sean. It was a moment that I had played out in my head for a long time and I think it was one of the reasons I was so distraught last week when I did not know about the event. In my head I had imagined how it would be to meet the families of a couple of the fallen soldiers that I have come to know over the years . . . did not get to meet Debey (Gunnar's mom) but some day it will happen.
I also got to meet my pen pal . . . after two years of writing back and forth and me venting from time to time, okay often, I finally got to put a face with a name and meet his wife and family. He has been so kind over the years. It was fun to sit and talk to a total stranger . . . he had met Sean before but never me . . . it was as if we knew each other for a long time. Thanks for taking time to just sit and chat about anything and everything. Maybe we can meet up at the beach someday!
Have you ever met a person that just amazes you? Well, I know a few but there is one in particular that just never seems to amaze me with his generosity. Sean and I met him when we helped to the Catholic Youth Group in Vilseck . . . he was unmarried at the time but helped with another couple. Anyway, Sean always thought he was a stand-out guy and just one of the nicest people he met (not to forget he is pretty squared away) . . . he asked if he could spend some time with Colin and take him fishing. I knew Colin would have a blast so I said sure. It was the first time ever that Colin has been away from me or my parents so it was a step for me and it was good to not feel guilty for bothering my parents. I expected them to stay gone for a few hours but they went fishing, to the hatchery, fishing again, snacks and almost 8 hours later came home . . . I don't know who was more tired. Colin had a blast and I know Sean would so appreciate our friend taking time from his wife and baby to do this. I really appreciated it and would love to do something special for this person.
I got to see several friends from my past . . . of course there is never enough time but I was sad that one of my old students was out of state . . . maybe next time because the drive really wasn't that bad.
I stayed with Jenny and family . . . we stayed up way too late every night and the kids managed to wake us up way to early. I don't think we got in bed before midnight for almost a week but we awakened by three overly happy kids between 730-800 daily. Throw in some wine, gossip, and being crafty and what more could you ask for? Good times I tell you good times!
I also met a friend of Sean's from SAHS . . . they played soccer together and from what several have told me they were a tight group. My mind was a little foggy when he introduced himself. I wished I would have been more focused because I would have loved to chatted when him . . . I have heard so many crazy stories from some of the SAHS kids . . . you know those Army Brats can be oh so bad! Maybe one of these days we will chat again under different circumstances . . . I know I always come across as a loof at these events but usually my mind is focused on what is about to happen.
I just got a thought about something strange . . . I have met a lot of neat people moving around with the Army but what amazes me is that I have still met some great people since Sean died . . . sort of weird that death makes people reach out but in a way I am thankful at those who have reached out to me . . . okay now a couple of photos

Tomorrow we are going home . . . I am so ready to be home . . . so ready to be in my bed and in my surroundings . . . I have big news to write about and more pictures to post so bear with me over the next few days! And then there is a tourist place we stopped at on our way home that I thought was super cool and educational too. Don't get too excited about what I consider news but I think it might make some of you feel good . . . and realize just how far I have come the last few years. It makes me feel like I have made progress in life.
And check out this final photo . . . I have no idea where he saw to put his swords in his underwear and the fact that he doesn't even have any play swords amazes me that he knows what to do but my little Conan was so proud of himself when he armed himself to fight off his cousins . . . just hilarious!

PS: I don't usually let him run wild in only his underwear but they were all playing in the water toys since we escaped outside because it was cooler than inside.
First, I am glad I went to the dedication. It was one of those events that can never happen again . . . well okay so it was a re-dedication. Now let me say this . . . it was hot in Kansas . . . I mean hot and we were sitting under a huge tent . . . I could see the flags and trees whipping in the wind but it sure wasn't coming our way. It was a nice dedication. There were some bagpipers who were awesome and one guy sang this song that was just amazing. I know Sean would have loved the music since it was almost Irish. As I sat there I had a "why am I here" feeling . . . it was strange but I quickly snapped out of it and remembered that I was there for Colin. Of course he really did not understand but he was there and that is what mattered to me. I will say that I thought he was well behaved considering it was so hot and it lasted about 75 minutes. Thank goodness Mrs. Iwan gave him a multi-colored pen and paper because that kept him entertained for a long time.
Speaking of Mr. and Mrs. Iwan . . . I finally got to meet them, give Mrs. Iwan a hug and shed a few tears. They were just so nice and sweet. FYI: Sean's XO, LT Ed Iwan, was killed just two days before Sean. It was a moment that I had played out in my head for a long time and I think it was one of the reasons I was so distraught last week when I did not know about the event. In my head I had imagined how it would be to meet the families of a couple of the fallen soldiers that I have come to know over the years . . . did not get to meet Debey (Gunnar's mom) but some day it will happen.
I also got to meet my pen pal . . . after two years of writing back and forth and me venting from time to time, okay often, I finally got to put a face with a name and meet his wife and family. He has been so kind over the years. It was fun to sit and talk to a total stranger . . . he had met Sean before but never me . . . it was as if we knew each other for a long time. Thanks for taking time to just sit and chat about anything and everything. Maybe we can meet up at the beach someday!
Have you ever met a person that just amazes you? Well, I know a few but there is one in particular that just never seems to amaze me with his generosity. Sean and I met him when we helped to the Catholic Youth Group in Vilseck . . . he was unmarried at the time but helped with another couple. Anyway, Sean always thought he was a stand-out guy and just one of the nicest people he met (not to forget he is pretty squared away) . . . he asked if he could spend some time with Colin and take him fishing. I knew Colin would have a blast so I said sure. It was the first time ever that Colin has been away from me or my parents so it was a step for me and it was good to not feel guilty for bothering my parents. I expected them to stay gone for a few hours but they went fishing, to the hatchery, fishing again, snacks and almost 8 hours later came home . . . I don't know who was more tired. Colin had a blast and I know Sean would so appreciate our friend taking time from his wife and baby to do this. I really appreciated it and would love to do something special for this person.
I got to see several friends from my past . . . of course there is never enough time but I was sad that one of my old students was out of state . . . maybe next time because the drive really wasn't that bad.
I stayed with Jenny and family . . . we stayed up way too late every night and the kids managed to wake us up way to early. I don't think we got in bed before midnight for almost a week but we awakened by three overly happy kids between 730-800 daily. Throw in some wine, gossip, and being crafty and what more could you ask for? Good times I tell you good times!
I also met a friend of Sean's from SAHS . . . they played soccer together and from what several have told me they were a tight group. My mind was a little foggy when he introduced himself. I wished I would have been more focused because I would have loved to chatted when him . . . I have heard so many crazy stories from some of the SAHS kids . . . you know those Army Brats can be oh so bad! Maybe one of these days we will chat again under different circumstances . . . I know I always come across as a loof at these events but usually my mind is focused on what is about to happen.
I just got a thought about something strange . . . I have met a lot of neat people moving around with the Army but what amazes me is that I have still met some great people since Sean died . . . sort of weird that death makes people reach out but in a way I am thankful at those who have reached out to me . . . okay now a couple of photos
Tomorrow we are going home . . . I am so ready to be home . . . so ready to be in my bed and in my surroundings . . . I have big news to write about and more pictures to post so bear with me over the next few days! And then there is a tourist place we stopped at on our way home that I thought was super cool and educational too. Don't get too excited about what I consider news but I think it might make some of you feel good . . . and realize just how far I have come the last few years. It makes me feel like I have made progress in life.
And check out this final photo . . . I have no idea where he saw to put his swords in his underwear and the fact that he doesn't even have any play swords amazes me that he knows what to do but my little Conan was so proud of himself when he armed himself to fight off his cousins . . . just hilarious!
PS: I don't usually let him run wild in only his underwear but they were all playing in the water toys since we escaped outside because it was cooler than inside.

7 Comments:
Heidi,
Beautiful pictures. I am so glad you were able to go. Thinking of you.
It was so nice to see you, I am sorry we didn't get more time, maybe next time :o) I know Emily would love to see you and Collin. Rodney was upset that he didn't get to see you, he was so busy that day! Maybe we will take a trip to Texas.
I'm so glad you made the trip.
Val in ABQ
I have spent the past two weeks going over the old VHS tapes of family outings, reunions and such. I am planning to put them on DVD. So much nostalgia going on here. And this is why you went and it worked out well. Colin will remember that fishing trip and playing with his cousins all his life. We just had our 50th and the kids threw a big barbeque with a swing band. Their theme was a shell board we had for many year, I had totally not thought about it in a decade. It had shells on a burlap background. Those shells were collected by all of us over a period of years and they remembered every one. Now, bear in mind my kids are all pushing 50 but the memories of the shell board figured large in their minds and in the minds of all of their 18 cousins!
You have given your son a gift of memories with this trip. Bless you for it.
Heidi--
I'm sooo glad it went well! We were praying that it would. You truly have a gift for handling difficult situations with such grace. Colin will look back at these memories with such pride--for both Mom & Dad. Well done!
I'm glad it worked out for you both. I'm sure he'll look back years and years from now and be thankful that you did it for him.
As for letting your son run wild in his underwear... well I said I wuold never let it happen and well... it has. It happens to the best of us! Let them enjoy the time that they CAN run wild in their underwear b/c sooner or later the pants have to stay on!
I am glad you made the trip and I look forward to reading more aspects of the trip.
And...I am proud to be one of those friends that you got to know after Sean died. If I could've made the choice, I wish you two had just PCSed away and I'd never heard from you again, but MY life is richer for knowing you.
Post a Comment
<< Home