Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I will never . . .

Have you ever said those words? Well, I sure have especially before I was a parent. Isn't it funny how having a child changes you . . . changes everything! I was going to be strict and Sean was going to be the fun parent . . . death sure did change my outlook. So here are few of my pre-child nevers . . .

I will never let my child watch TV as a babysitter.
I will never put him in day care if I am not working.
I will never let my child sleep in my bed.
I will never give my child a bottle after they are 1 year old.
I will never have a TV in my car.
I will never let my kids play in dirt.
I will never bribe my child with toys or candy.
I will never let my baby cry himself to sleep.
I will never rock my child to sleep.

So are you laughing yet? Too funny . . . I am sure there are many more of my " I will never" but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment. If I did not give in then this would never happen . . .

I would never get a shower.
I would never be able to buy groceries.
I would never have a moment to myself.
I would never get more than 4 hours of sleep.
I would never get to go anywhere more than a few miles.
I could never work on my hobbies.

One thing I know is that I will NEVER be parent of the year but I hope Colin will always love me, respect me, and be happy with me. I love my little stinker for better or worse . . . seems like we have more worse lately!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way you write! The amount of honesty you have with yourself is amazing. Colin is a very lucky boy!

8/23/2006 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can remember in my childless days looking at disdain at the child lying in the middle of the floor screaming and thinking "can't that mother keep her child under control?" Ha ha. I now know the anwer to be NO! Children have a mind of their own and express it freely. We all do what we must in order to maintain sanity, get a shower and just get the basics done around the house. Heidi, you are a great parent. Never doubt that! No one is perfect, no matter how it may seem on the outside. We all have our moments when we would not be elected as mother of the year but we also all love our children and would do anything for them. This is on the job training at its highlest level. Keep up the good work.

Love, T

8/23/2006 10:51 AM  
Blogger E said...

I waited until A. was a year old before putting her in daycare for a couple hours a week so I could run errands. It didn't take me long to wonder, "Why did I wait so long!?" Time to yourself is precious and you can get ten times more done without a toddler in tow. Don't feel guilty!

8/23/2006 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the blog of another young mother. She has twin boys a little younger than your son and a daughter about a year and a half older than they are. She doesn't post often because believe it or not, she is busy! but on June 21 she posted a list of "Things you never thought you would have to say". It is much in line with this post and is funny mainly to those who are mothers. It's really cute. Her blog is jumpingmonkeys.com and her name is Megan Morrone. She used to be a techie on TechTV I hope she has time to still do some tech writing. Life gets really busy with three little ones.

8/23/2006 3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about sucking the thumb!! I was at home over Christmas (Maddy was 2 months old at the time) and my sister-in-law walked in with her 10 month old and he was sucking his thumb. I can remember think, "Oh, my... I can't believe she is letting him suck his thumb!" Guess what Maddy does on a very regular basis... sucks her thumb!!! And you know what!! It is the greatest thing! Nothing calms her down better then that thumb, I would take that over a binky any day, you can't loose your thumb... :) I have definately learned, Never say Never!!!

8/23/2006 7:55 PM  
Blogger Just Another *SINGLE* Mom said...

Oh u are good...I love this post!! A shower will do wonders for a momma!

8/23/2006 8:33 PM  
Blogger MQ said...

I love this one too! Whenever I hear friends talk about what they'll do/won't do when they have kids, I have to bite my tounge. They'll learn soon enough that most of those high expectations of your kids and others, fall away :)

8/24/2006 7:58 AM  
Blogger M said...

It's so good to hear someone I respect as a parent confess of things I also feel guilty about. I think so many of those ideas sound really good in the parenting books, but just not in real life. Keep it up Heidi, your doing a great job.

8/24/2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger 4HB ME said...

I wish I could somehow share this with all those who haven't had the opportunity to face their I nevers yet! You know who you are, you scornful onlookers at the grocery store/day care/shopping mall! Great post!

Heidi, want you to know that Ryan said Sean was the best officer he's ever worked with. And - your little man is adorable!

9/03/2006 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home