Living Through Others . . .
I 'met' MQ almost a year ago . . . isn't it funny how many people you meet by blogging? She emailed me asking some questions after a soldier in her husband's company was killed. She was so sweet and nice. She too has a blog that I read often. I have followed her ups and downs of having a husband in Iraq while she is at home with their two boys but just last week her husband came home. I was so happy for her. I have loved reading her posts about the reunion she had and that their boys had too . . . of course I cried happy tears for them. I have found myself laughing with her and crying from time to time too. I never got to experience that type of homecoming so it was exciting to see how a homecoming should really be . . . it is how I always imagined it would be but I never got to experience one for myself. I loved her photos and descriptions. She is too funny and wears some pretty sexy shoes. I also found myself 'comparing' my homecoming with hers . . .
MQ wrote: I get pointed in a couple of wrong directions and suddenly someone yells, "He's behind you!" I spin around and before I can even blink he hoisted me up into his arms and I cry for a good minute.
My version is a little different . . . there were no banners or flags (okay so there were banners at the DFW airport for the soldiers coming home on R&R which was the first shocker I experienced but I kept the tears inside) or people smiling real big . . . we made arrangements with the guy at the cemetery to pick out the plots the day after Thanksgiving . . . I got up that morning and put on a nice flowy skirt, sweater, and strappy sandals . . . I wanted to look good for Sean. At this point I had not seen him so it still was not real. We get out of the car at the cemetery and walk to a big open green space . . . he starts telling me plots that were available . . . all I could think was why am I doing this? I finally decided on three plots near a beautiful tree that had leaves of many colors . . . very unusual for Texas . . . our leaves are usually green or brown. I sign on the dotted line and start to prepare myself mentally for the trip down the street to the funeral home for my homecoming. I think I am still in denial at this point. All I wanted was for my reunion to play out like I had always imagined, I flashback in my mind to the homecoming I wanted . . . Sean picking me up off my feet and giving me a huge hug and then watching his eyes tear up as he sees our little boy . . . I know he would be shocked at how much he had changed, after all he was only 5 weeks old when he left and now a year has gone by . . . so I bring myself back to reality as we walk into the funeral home . . . Jon is there and some other guy in his Army greens . . . who the heck is he? It turns out to be my new CAO . . . of course he was the last thing on my mind because my go to guy was Jon . . . Sean's escort; our good friend from Germany . . . all I wanted to do was see Sean. Jon and I sat down in a room and he gave me a small black velvet bag that had Sean's personal effects that were on his body . . . his dog tags, a couple of saint medallions, his watch . . . that still goes off everynight at 10:30, 10:35, and 10:40! It was that time . . . I wanted to just sprint right in to see this was just a big dream and see Sean sitting there playing his guitar or drinking a beer, something, anything but what I had been told . . . as I round the corner to the room, I am immediately taken back by the sight of the flag on the casket . . . now that is something very powerful . . . it was so amazing and emotional. Jon then folds the flag back so professionally . . . he opens it up and I think I almost jump to get a better look. I remember letting out a huge sob and begin to cry loudly . . . my parents come in and they too are taken back. It looked like Sean but was it really him? I remember repeating, "it doesn't look like my Sean." It had been exactly two weeks since he died and his face was puffy . . . I asked Jon to remove the gloves . . . if you really knew Sean you knew his hands had very distinct markings . . . I always knew that no matter what his face looked like the truth would be in his hands . . . I was right. Instead of Sean lifting me up in the air in happiness, it was my parents holding me up in sorrow so I did not fall to the ground . . . my sweet husband was there at his homecoming and there was nothing to celebrate in my eyes. All I could do was look at him . . . for hours . . . each day I went and just stared at him . . . I could not get words out or talk to him . . . how could this be true?
While our homecomings are very different we share a common bond . . . thanks MQ for sharing your homecoming with me!
MQ wrote: I get pointed in a couple of wrong directions and suddenly someone yells, "He's behind you!" I spin around and before I can even blink he hoisted me up into his arms and I cry for a good minute.
My version is a little different . . . there were no banners or flags (okay so there were banners at the DFW airport for the soldiers coming home on R&R which was the first shocker I experienced but I kept the tears inside) or people smiling real big . . . we made arrangements with the guy at the cemetery to pick out the plots the day after Thanksgiving . . . I got up that morning and put on a nice flowy skirt, sweater, and strappy sandals . . . I wanted to look good for Sean. At this point I had not seen him so it still was not real. We get out of the car at the cemetery and walk to a big open green space . . . he starts telling me plots that were available . . . all I could think was why am I doing this? I finally decided on three plots near a beautiful tree that had leaves of many colors . . . very unusual for Texas . . . our leaves are usually green or brown. I sign on the dotted line and start to prepare myself mentally for the trip down the street to the funeral home for my homecoming. I think I am still in denial at this point. All I wanted was for my reunion to play out like I had always imagined, I flashback in my mind to the homecoming I wanted . . . Sean picking me up off my feet and giving me a huge hug and then watching his eyes tear up as he sees our little boy . . . I know he would be shocked at how much he had changed, after all he was only 5 weeks old when he left and now a year has gone by . . . so I bring myself back to reality as we walk into the funeral home . . . Jon is there and some other guy in his Army greens . . . who the heck is he? It turns out to be my new CAO . . . of course he was the last thing on my mind because my go to guy was Jon . . . Sean's escort; our good friend from Germany . . . all I wanted to do was see Sean. Jon and I sat down in a room and he gave me a small black velvet bag that had Sean's personal effects that were on his body . . . his dog tags, a couple of saint medallions, his watch . . . that still goes off everynight at 10:30, 10:35, and 10:40! It was that time . . . I wanted to just sprint right in to see this was just a big dream and see Sean sitting there playing his guitar or drinking a beer, something, anything but what I had been told . . . as I round the corner to the room, I am immediately taken back by the sight of the flag on the casket . . . now that is something very powerful . . . it was so amazing and emotional. Jon then folds the flag back so professionally . . . he opens it up and I think I almost jump to get a better look. I remember letting out a huge sob and begin to cry loudly . . . my parents come in and they too are taken back. It looked like Sean but was it really him? I remember repeating, "it doesn't look like my Sean." It had been exactly two weeks since he died and his face was puffy . . . I asked Jon to remove the gloves . . . if you really knew Sean you knew his hands had very distinct markings . . . I always knew that no matter what his face looked like the truth would be in his hands . . . I was right. Instead of Sean lifting me up in the air in happiness, it was my parents holding me up in sorrow so I did not fall to the ground . . . my sweet husband was there at his homecoming and there was nothing to celebrate in my eyes. All I could do was look at him . . . for hours . . . each day I went and just stared at him . . . I could not get words out or talk to him . . . how could this be true?
While our homecomings are very different we share a common bond . . . thanks MQ for sharing your homecoming with me!

15 Comments:
Heidi, Thank you for sharing your life and thoughts with us.I always cry right along with you. I know that your life the last 30 months has had it's ups and downs. I hope that you will continue to be strong. Sean is always looking down on you and Colin and smiling at what a great mom you are. 60 years from now you will get that homecoming in Heaven and you will be with him forever.
Dear Heidi,
When things are going wrong in my life, all I have to do is read your blog and it puts everything in the right perspective. As a mother, I'd like to just hold you in my arms and tell you everything's going to be all right. I've never even met you, but you have become a part of my life every day. I wish I could make things better for you. All I can do is pray that God gives you strength and peace in your heart.
Love,
Nancy
Heidi,
I found your blog last fall, during our first deployment together--and I can't tell you how afraid I was at first to read your blog...to even consider what might happen. Bless you, Heidi, for having the courage to show us that it is possible to live through our worst nightmare. But I can't tell you how I wish this wasn't your burden to bear!
Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I'm sure I speak for many of your readers when I say that I hope as soldier's girlfriends and wives that we can walk with you and each other along this road a bit and perhaps hold each other up as needed--even just virtually.
Blessings on you and Colin, dear Heidi. I pray for happier days to come and that you will have that homecoming you dream of in heaven one day with your own dearest love.
Hugs,
L
Gosh, Heidi. You are honestly one of the strongest women I know. I love reading your blog. Like Nancy, posts like this one really put things into perspective for me. When I start complaining about some of the silly things in my life, you remind me about the things I need to be thankful for. Oh how I wish you could have had a homecoming like mine.
Sob. . .
Heidi,
I hope one day we will meet in person and I can give you one of the big virtual hugs I send your way when I read your blog.
I wish so very much that you had that joyous reunion..one day, right?
Meanwhile, keep sharing your stories...
hugs and love to you and Colin,
Monique
:(((((
B.S.
I was worried about you that day. I knew what you were going to see wasn't anything you could have imagined or prepared for. I'm glad you didn't do it alone as some people would have. We think about you daily.
Heidi, thank you for sharing your most private and devestating moment. I often think my homecomign wasn't the spectacular thing I planned it out to be. Bill was pissed cuz they wouldn't let them bring their bags up to the gym to put in the car cuz they wanted them all to march in together in one glorious moment but he busted up there anyways cuz NO ONE was stopping him from doing what he had to do! and he stayed angry after that but like Shawn he didn't see Catie until they marched in and and had their formation (jenifer was holding her while I went to find out what the commotion was in the gym lobby)since she was 5 weeks old and he cried and she reached out and touched his tears. He was so worried he would not go to him or would be afraid of him. So that part was good. But like everyone else has said you put life into perspective. When I doubt my decision to push him to get out of the Army I read your blog and remember that day you sat in my office to white but yet so brave and I felt guilty because mine was o.k. for now and yours wasn't. Blessing always to you and collin...
i could not imagine having to do that myself, you are soo strong and have stayed strong for you son... you are an amazing woman..
I do not know you Heidi, but I must say I hold you close in my heart. thank you for sharing.
Wow - so difficult to read. You are very brave to share these moments with everyone. I hope it gives you some comfort knowing that we are still grieving with you. I can't believe it's been almost 2 years either. We all still think about him...we haven't forgotten.
Love & Hugs,
KMcD
I just found your blog today through another link and this post makes my heart so heavy. I am so sorry for your loss and for your son's loss. You sound like a very strong and amazing woman.
I have been "researching" military wife blogs as my husband is starting seminary and about 5 years from now, we will be living a Navy life, very different than now. Your story is honestly my worst fear.
May you continue to heal although I am sure never completely recover.
My blessings to you and your son.
CC
CC
Hi Heidi,
A friend called from Germany today. She told me about your posting, the honesty in which you describe your homecoming. While your blog may be one way of dealing with Sean's passing it is also a powerful testament of/to your love and inner strength.
I feel I have gotten to know you a little through your writings and wished we could have known each other better in Vilseck. In the meantime I am enjoying working AND getting to know your "wife" as she is a few doors down and around the corner from my room. She will have J-man next semenster! My old stomping grounds have been putting us both through some changes...it is nice to have someone to say "Is it just me?" :-)
Have a great school year and take care of yourself and Colin.
Lucille
Heidi,
I don't even know what to say. I read your pain and your reality and it does truly help me to be thankful for all of the blessings in my life. Is that wrong? Is that selfish? I think of you and Colin often. I pray for you both and am excited that you are building a house. What a great adventure. I need to visit family in Texas sometime this year and maybe we'll stop in Eddy to say Hi! I hope that you'll get the opportunity to come up here and visit us in NY. You should bring Colin and J can take him camping with Sam & Cate. I think he would love it like Sam does. We'll go into the city and see the sights and a show.
Love, T
Post a Comment
<< Home