Christmas Reflections
I always told Sean that no matter what I would always spend Christmas with my parents . . . I am an only child and a little stubborn. It was an arrangement we had from the beginning and one we discussed before we ever married. So in 2000, we were in Germany and I was determined to not let my parents be alone. I flew to Texas and Sean flew to China where his parents were living. To this day it was the biggest regret in my marriage. If we would have known then that our times together were limited we would have no doubt done things differently but you just never know. I regret not going to China . . . the Great Wall . . . a culture that is so foreign to me. Anyway, I was glad I went home but knew that next year I would spend it with Sean . . . just the two of us in Germany or in some other country. It was a huge step for me but it was a good decision and my parents were fine with me not coming home.
2001
We started the day with a brisk dive in the ocean . . . our first real dive other than the scuba classes. It was good to get the first one over but it just wasn't the best time of year to dive in Malta.

Wandering the streets of Malta . . . I had never heard of Malta because it is a very small island south of Italy . . . 90% Catholic . . . where else could you spend Christmas with that many other Catholics?
2004 . . . I always knew we would not spend Colin's first Christmas with Sean because he would still be in Iraq but I never expected to not hear his voice . . . everything was still so new and in the back of my mind I waited for the phone to ring or IM to ding. It was a huge blur and I really don't have any memories of the day . . . just a few not so good photos

2005 . . . yet another year passed without Sean and we made the best of life . . .

Here's hoping that 2006 will be a memorable day . . . each one gets harder!
I am off to unpack some more boxes . . . it has been a very good experience so far but overwhelming too. Why did I need 25 blue dessert forks and 20 red dinner forks? And then there is the 'small' collection of Polish pottery and crystal . . . what was I thinking? I am glad I am doing this all by myself with no one around.
2001
We started the day with a brisk dive in the ocean . . . our first real dive other than the scuba classes. It was good to get the first one over but it just wasn't the best time of year to dive in Malta.

Wandering the streets of Malta . . . I had never heard of Malta because it is a very small island south of Italy . . . 90% Catholic . . . where else could you spend Christmas with that many other Catholics?
2002 . . . Sean was in Kosovo so I headed home to Texas . . . the 'wife' and I scheduled our flights so we could fly together!
2003 . . . our first Christmas in our home in Germany and our last we would ever spend together . . . Sean was so happy and I was so ready to have a baby . . . who knew 5 days later it would happen!

2004 . . . I always knew we would not spend Colin's first Christmas with Sean because he would still be in Iraq but I never expected to not hear his voice . . . everything was still so new and in the back of my mind I waited for the phone to ring or IM to ding. It was a huge blur and I really don't have any memories of the day . . . just a few not so good photos

2005 . . . yet another year passed without Sean and we made the best of life . . .

Here's hoping that 2006 will be a memorable day . . . each one gets harder!
I am off to unpack some more boxes . . . it has been a very good experience so far but overwhelming too. Why did I need 25 blue dessert forks and 20 red dinner forks? And then there is the 'small' collection of Polish pottery and crystal . . . what was I thinking? I am glad I am doing this all by myself with no one around.
Merry Christmas to you all . . . I am still working on those Christmas Cards, LOL!



7 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
You are in our thoughts and prayers, Heidi. Blessings on your Christmas, and especially on your move into the New Year!
Hugs,
Lara & Sean
Merry Christmas to you and Colin. Many blessings you and your son this Chrstmas.
Merry Christmas to you and Colin!
Oh the dishes! I've been asking myself the same thing all week! I never really thought about how huge my kitchen was in Vilseck until I got here with 50% fewer cabinets...yikes! I have no idea why I thought I needed so many dishes either.
"90% Catholic . . . where else could you spend Christmas with that many other Catholics?"
Poland :)
there's some more also
I hope you had a memorable Christmas.
Post a Comment
<< Home