Tuesday, November 13, 2007

1095 days

I often wonder when grief ends but realize that it will always be with me . . . I am forever changed because of Sean's death but also changed because Sean lived and we loved each other dearly. Some of you know that I am a huge fan of magazines. I get way too many in my mailbox but one of my favorites is Real Simple. I just love their ratings of products and simple solutions that make me go, why didn't I think of that? This month they have article on remembering a lost love one (page 291). It was written by Gail Blanke on the death of her brother who was in the Navy and died years ago.

The paragraph that stood out to me is from the novel The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder and is the last paragraph of the book. "We ourselves shall be loved for a while and forgotten. But the love will have been enough; all those impulses of love return to the love that made them. Even memory is not necessary for love. There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning."

I got the poem below on November 13, 2005 . . . I read it on July 4, 2007. I hardly ever read emails that come around November 13. I just save them to a folder and read them on a day that I need a pick me up. I really appreciate the emails during such a difficult day. I do read them eventually . . . thanks for always thinking of us and especially remembering Sean.

The Price of Love

Grief never ends,
But it changes.
It's a passage,
Not a place to stay.

The sense of loss
Must give away,
If we're to value
The life that was lived.

Grief is not weakness,
Nor lack of faith,
It's the price of love.

18 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

You and Colin are in my prayers, Heidi. Just last week I found out that one of my friends, was in your coffee group; she remembers you and had very kind things to say about you. I've read your blog for quite some time and I enjoyed discovering that you are just as I imagine you to be. Not a day goes by that I do not pray for you, but today I am sending extra prayers.

11/13/2007 7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Especially thinking of you and Colin the past few days. I think you are a strong woman and mother. Freedom is not free, I will never forget your family's sacrifice. Saying lots of prayers for you and Colin. Take care Heidi.
Kerri

11/13/2007 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I and all the SAHS alumni are thinking of you - with deep sadness.

11/13/2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger keri said...

Thinking of your family always, especially today, Heidi.

11/13/2007 10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you, also..Prayers & hugs, for you and Colin, today & everyday........
Land of the free,
Because of the brave.

11/13/2007 10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi,

Let there be no doubt, Sean was the best of all of us. I'm sure Doug, Dan, Fred, Ryan, and Rodney would agree. I can't convey how amazing I think you are; I am nearly immobized with grief and yet you continue to function and take care of Colin.

You, Colin, and Sean will forever be a part of our family. Take care of yourself.

Adam

11/13/2007 4:28 PM  
Blogger M said...

Many thoughts and prayers going out to you today. Your strength and perseverance inspires me. Your honoring Sean's spirit by raising Colin to be the great little man that he is. We send our love
Love Reid, Melissa and Cam

11/13/2007 8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi,

We think of you and Colin often and I can only imagine how hard this day is for you, again. You are a wonderful mother and you are doing an amazing job with Colin. As he grows older, he will want to know more and more about his daddy and I know the stories, memories & photos that you will share with him will also help you heal. Colin will know how brave and heroic his daddy was and he will be so proud. Sean is missed by so many of us; you and Colin are always in our prayers.

Love, Kara & Jerry

11/13/2007 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your amazing strength and courage touches more people than you could ever know.
While Sean is a true American hero....so are you!
I am proud to say I know the Sims family.
With love and prayers,
Jenna's mom

11/13/2007 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in our thoughts and prayers always..your strength amazes me everyday. May you persevere as you always do and know that many think of you and colin...
always,
tricia B

11/13/2007 10:03 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Thinking of you, Heidi.

11/14/2007 10:04 AM  
Blogger Roxxi said...

<----0-----> This is me giving you a hug. Hang in there.

11/14/2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger ~Rachael said...

Heidi,

Thanks for posting things like this---you're an inspiration (941 days and counting...)---thanks....

All my best to you and Colin,

~Rachael

11/14/2007 9:19 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Heidi--
It's the end of the quarter for us, but I wanted to let you know that I remembered you, Sean and Colin on the 13th, even though I just now had a minute to check in. You are in our prayers. Sending hugs.....

11/15/2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger C said...

You and Colin are always in our thoughts.

Courtney

11/15/2007 10:16 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I have a subscription to Real Simple too. I freakin' LOVE that magazine. Don't you love the gift wrapping closet/station they suggested this month?

And yes, when I read the article you're talking about, I immediately thought of you. Now, every time I get that magazine in the mail I'll think of you! :)

11/15/2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger MQ said...

Like everyday, we are so sorry for your loss

11/18/2007 6:47 PM  
Blogger soldierdeb said...

Sorry for your loss - prayers and prayer

11/18/2007 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home