Sunday, May 27, 2018

Memorial Day 2018

Colin is officially out of school, and I have one more week!  This is the weekend for most that signals summer has started!  I tell you in Texas right now we are already hitting triple digits and in a few days it is suppose to be over 100!  To most Memorial Day is an extra day off that many get together to have a party and BBQ and enjoy fun in the sun.  We were that family too.  I will admit as a kid, I really didn't understand the meaning behind this day off but that all changed in 2005 . . . the first Memorial Day after Sean died.  It took on a whole new meaning.  For some reason seeing all the sales and hoopla surrounding the holiday sort of rubs me the wrong way.  All I see and hear about has absolutely nothing to do with remembering those killed while serving their country.  It is not a day to honor living veterans or current military members that is Veterans Day (November) or Armed Forces Day (May).  I mean I guess it is a nice gesture that so many businesses are honoring living military members with discounts, but they are living and this is a holiday to remember those that are dead.  It bothers me.  I won't even discuss how my blood pressure jumps when I hear someone say "Happy Memorial Day!"  Ummm, no not really but then again our society has lost a lot of itself over the years.  I am sure what I think and write will offend some but you know what I really don't care.  I am really tired of living in a society that you have to be careful what you say because someone will be offended or have hurt feelings.  It has become difficult to express your thoughts and opinions without someone being offended.  Anyway . . .

I download photos to a online site and have for a many many years . . .just a few weeks ago I got an email with my photo memories from 14 years ago.  While I do love looking at the photos it sort of takes my breath away too when I see how many years have passed!
Back in 2004 this is how we communicated via webcam on AOL Messenger.  We did not get those opportunities very often, and I remember making fun of Sean for taking photos of the screen.  Now it is a great memory and sadly only one of a few photos with both Sean and Colin together.  While it was not the best way to communicate it sure was better than nothing.  I think those smiles say it all.  

We will zip down to College Station at some point this weekend.  Colin understands much more now the true reason behind Memorial Day.  We remember today and every other day . . . our family will remember Sean and the thousands of others that have had to walk this path. 

And here is my PSA for the year . . . know the difference!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home