Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Still supporting our soldiers . . .

It is another late night of no sleep so I thought I would surf the net. I found this commercial by Budweiser; it made me cry and it made me proud. I am not sure how old it is, because I was exposed to AFN TV in Germany from 2000-2004. Sure miss all those great "commercials"!

Sean dropped Colin and I off at the DFW airport on August 17, 2004. We were heading back to Germany, and the next day he was heading back to Iraq. It was the first time that Sean had to tell us good-bye. It was a hard day for him; I could see it in his eyes. We were so excited to have two weeks with him but when we were at the airport something just did not feel right. I had a funny feeling . . . what if this is the last time? I over react about everything so just figured it was my nerves getting the best of me. I remember walking through the security checkpoint and seeing Sean watch us . . . the look on his face was just of uncertainty. It would be the last time we would be together as a family. I can't get the look on his face out of my mind . . .

Heading to the airport

Since that day I have been in the DFW airport many times. I always see soldiers in their DCUs. I want to go up to them and simply say thank you but am so afraid that I will bother them or just break into tears. So, if you are a soldier, thank you . . . this widow appreciates what you are continuing to do and the sacrifices your family makes. Maybe someday I will have the courage to approach a soldier.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Heidi,

I am so glad to hear from you!
Heidi, you are so missed among VES staff and students. Colin is growing up so fast and he is so handsome! God had blessed you with such a beautiful child and the blessing is double since he is the vivid image of Sean. I will always remember you not only because we work together but also because my older daughter and Colin share the same birth date. As a military wife myself of 19 years, I have to say that you are an example for all us, you are a remarkable woman.

PS: I will soon be moving to TX, San Antonio. I will keep in touch, maybe we can get together sometime.

God bless you and Colin,
Jackie Portela
Jackie.Portela@eu.dodea.edu

10/12/2005 5:26 AM  
Blogger texasbug said...

Wow, you can really see it in his face in the photo.

My mom stops every soldier she sees, and she always gets teary. They never seem to mind or be bothered. The last time I talked to a soldier, he ended up sharing about how his time away had caused he and his wife to divorce. Obviously he just needed someone to talk to who was sympathetic, so you just never know.

10/12/2005 9:33 AM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Ma'am, I am a Soldier, and I thank you for your support. You are the widow of one of our fallen brothers. You will NEVER be a bother to us. We share your loss, and you will always remain a part of our family. God bless you.

10/13/2005 2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After Thanksgiving I had to drive my mother-in-law to the KCI airport. I saw a soldier in DCUs w/ the 1AD patch. We were just a few feet apart. I assume he was headed back to Iraq from RR here at Riley. I, too, wanted to say something, especially since Dana had gone to Iraq with 1AD during Desert Storm. I didn't say anything but wished I had of based on "the Boy's" response.

It is the only time I have ever hesitated to speak to a soldier. I went to every Memorial Service for Visleck's fallen Soldiers. I felt every Soldier deserved my respect and gratitude for helping to preserve freedom and our way of life.

I could not wait until our Soldiers returned in February. I went to every Welcome no matter what the time, unless I was teaching, or small the number. Again, I felt every Soldier deserved my thanks for service to our country. At first it was strange hugging Soldiers I didn't know but they all seemed to welcome the sentiment and personal touch after being away for so long.

In closing, I will not make a lapse in judgement again, and will take the time to share a word of thanks and encouragment to those who serve.

Hugs to you, Heidi, for making it through another day.

Lucille

12/03/2005 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home