Sunday, August 27, 2006

Birthday Wishes

Today would have been Sean's 34th birthday . . . I always wondered how Colin and I would spend those special days. I remember Patti telling me that she would spend her dad's birthday doing things that her dad enjoyed. And when she had her daughter they would continue doing his favorite things so she could 'know' the grandfather she never met.

So today that is what we are going to do . . . we will spend the day doing things that Sean enjoyed . . . well, we will have to wait until Colin is a little older to share his favorite drink. Some of the other wives who lost husbands in Iraq also do something special with their kids . . . they tie a message on a balloon and release it from the cemetery. Now that is a great idea. When I was in Germany I walked a lot . . . one hot summer day (summer 2003) I was letting Murphy run in a field when I saw a balloon stuck on a stalk. I picked it up and on the card it had a message in German . . . a lady released 30 balloons on her 30th birthday and wanted the finder of the balloons to return the card back to her . . . I wrote where we found it, the date, and sent it back . . . think I might try that too. Of course I will include a stamp so just maybe the person will send it back. So what do we have planned? I am thinking lunch at McDonald's (Quarter Pounder with cheese) and maybe catch a movie (would be a first for Colin). Then ice cream at Baskin Robbins (Chocolate Fudge with Diaquiri Ice . . . doesn't that sound gross . . . it was Sean's favorite!) and then a visit to the cemetery with a balloon. I sure hope Colin lets the balloon go because he loves them . . . note to self . . . buy 2!

Sending birthday kisses to the stars and moon above . . . hope he catches them! We think of you often and miss you tons! Happy Birthday from Below!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful ideas, I know it will be a special day for you and Colin. Happy Birthday Sean.....

8/27/2006 8:52 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Happy Birthday Sean. I know my husband thinks of him often...

8/27/2006 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sean,
The world is a better place because you were here.
Love,
Jenna's mom

8/27/2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday, Sean! I hope you know that you are truly missed by all and your wife inspires us!

8/27/2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

Heidi--
May you and Colin make happy memories today, and may you be blessed with a sign from above!

Love,
L

8/27/2006 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sean!

8/27/2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

That is a great idea and something I had never thought of...it makes me want to remember my grandparents and others that have gone before me in similiar ways. Happy Birthday, Sean and have fun remembering his favorite things, Heidi and Colin. :) :)

8/27/2006 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi,

What a great way to always remember Sean. We know you will never forget him but what a great way to remember the person he was. I hope you enjoy your day and Happy Birthday to Sean.

T

8/27/2006 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The balloons are such a great idea. That's so fun that you found one on your walks in Germany.

Happy Birthday, Sean and Hugs to you and Colin!

8/27/2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Roxxi said...

Happy Birthday Sean

8/27/2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger Just Another *SINGLE* Mom said...

Happy Birthday Sean!!

8/27/2006 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your hero!
Hugs to you & Colin!

8/28/2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger MQ said...

Happy Birthday Sean

8/28/2006 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home