recipe
Let me start by saying this . . . while I like this recipe it does not taste as good as the real stuff. I tell you it is hard to make ethnic food but it is tasty especially over tomatoes, lettuce, and fresh mozzarella! I only make half of the recipe and don't follow the directions at all . . . I just mix it all together but if I notice any visible liquid from the yogurt of cucumber then I do drain it.
Tzatziki
32 oz plain yogurt
1 large cucumber; peeled and shredded
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup virgin olive oil
salt to taste
1. Place cheese cloth over medium bowl and strain yogurt 6 hours in the refrigerator, or over night.
2. Drain as much excess liquid from the cucumber and garlic as possible.
Again, I don't follow the above directions . . . I have used fat free plain yogurt and regular plain yogurt and don't notice that much difference. I also thought that 5 cloves of garlic was a little overpowering so don't use that much any more. The first time I made it I just threw it all in the blender but DO NOT do that because it will turn to water. I do shred the cucumber in a small processor and then drain the liquid before mixing it all together. Remember the longer it sits the better it gets.
Let me know what you think!
Tzatziki
32 oz plain yogurt
1 large cucumber; peeled and shredded
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup virgin olive oil
salt to taste
1. Place cheese cloth over medium bowl and strain yogurt 6 hours in the refrigerator, or over night.
2. Drain as much excess liquid from the cucumber and garlic as possible.
Again, I don't follow the above directions . . . I have used fat free plain yogurt and regular plain yogurt and don't notice that much difference. I also thought that 5 cloves of garlic was a little overpowering so don't use that much any more. The first time I made it I just threw it all in the blender but DO NOT do that because it will turn to water. I do shred the cucumber in a small processor and then drain the liquid before mixing it all together. Remember the longer it sits the better it gets.
Let me know what you think!

5 Comments:
I will definitely be trying. I have been looking for a recipe for this for quite some time!
Yeah, me too! Thanks! I remember the great dressings you would get at the little German restaurants. Yum.
Thanks for posting this, Heidi. I'll be back in the states in a month and I'll let you know how we like this!
Sue K
Heidi,
you can also use Greek Yogurt...it doesn't need to be strained.
B.S.
OH Great Heidi! I will have to try this. Zach loves this stuff. I tried one recipe and he said it was "okay" but it just didn't taste the same to me. The kids miss the greek gyros we used to get in the food court at Vilseck. I think I would have let them they would have ate them 3 times a day!
Post a Comment
<< Home