Flag Day
PLEASE wave our flag today . . . some think it is okay to step on, burn, or do other things to disgrace our flag. It is a beautiful symbol of our country and the freedoms we have. Today I thought I would share this poem written from a child's point of view . . . hopefully some day Colin will look at his flag and know it symbolizes so much more . . .
The Flag That's Never Flown
© 1996 David Fruge
In my Mother's house
The most prized possession is
The Flag that's never flown
It's never hung proudly
On the Fourth of July
To watch a marching band go by
It sits on the corner of a shelf
Standing there proudly
All by itself
Folded so neatly for all to see
I can never express how much
That Flag means to me
You see it's only been unfolded once
Then folded back up with care
After it honored the casket
Of the man whose name I proudly wear.
Good-bye Dad
I know this is super blury but the little stinker was running and I was chasing him . . . you get the point . . .

4 Comments:
That is a beautiful and tragic poem. :)
I know how much those carefully folded flags mean. We have two in our family- one for my Grandpa and one for my Grandma, his wife. One of the things you never forget about a military funeral is the flag-folding and presentation. I can still hear the crisp snap of the flag folding, and see the inspection of the points.
Happy Flag Day.
It is a beautiful poem. Do you have it framed?
Muriel
No, I don't have it framed. A member of the Marine Comfort Quilts posted it on the message board. If you have free time you should check them out . . .
Heidi
Post a Comment
<< Home