One year ago . . .
It is hard to believe that one year ago today my dad and I were in Germany for the dedication of the 1ID memorial. Again, where has the year gone? It was no coincidence that the dedication took place on June 6 . . . it is a historical day for the 1st Infantry Division. Here are a few snap shots of the memorial. I can't wait for the division to move to Fort Riley, Kansas so that Colin can go visit the memorial and museum.







10 Comments:
He is a hero, Heidi. I think I understand what you mean about having Sean included on the "Faces of the Fallen". Seeing his name---that's hard enough, isn't it?
Hugs,
Lara
A hero among heroes. Thanks for sharing your stories with us.
Hi, Heidi.
Despite having never left comments, I have been keeping up religiously with your blog. I have really enjoyed seeing pictures of the life that you and Sean shared together. It looks like you had some amazing adventures and made the most of the time you had. It's also been good to read about how you are doing emotionally - I know the question can get tiring so I don't often ask. From reading your blog over the past few months it really seems that you are steadily and surely "learning to live," though I imagine there are times when you don't feel that's true. Just want to let you know I'm proud of you and think you are doing a great job.
We are trying our hardest to get a flight to Germany to visit the home you and Sean shared and also the memorial. Thanks for the link about the 1st ID.
On a lighter note, I love getting updates on Colin and seeing pictures since we're so far away. He is getting so big! I'm glad we'll be home soon.
Take care-
Elva
I'm continually amazed at everything you have been through. Take care,
Monique
To the Traveling Sims Duo . . .
Let me know if you go to Germany. I have very few friends still there but I am sure I can find someone who will sign you on post. I sent you an email with town names. Someday I will take Colin back there to see his house. The two German girls who walked Murphy and watched Colin would LOVE to meet you and show you around. They are now 18! Can't wait to see you guys . . . it has been a long time!
Colin can't wait for Thomas to come play . . . we have been working on saying names.
-Heidi
Your strength amazes every day. You are truly a great woman.
Let us know if the Traveling Sims need help getting on post ~ John still has a few friends left at 1ID HQ that he can contact. Logan and I always walked through Victory Park on our way back to the on-post lodging. It is such a tranquil place to sit and ponder and to remember Sean.
Patti
We also remember the dedication ceremony...and how it rained, and then the sunshine(and then the rain). And I will never forget, how it felt, seeing my son's name,on the marble walkway, and on the base of the monument...along with the names of 192 more soldiers...
I remember, recognizing you, but not having time to get a ''chance'' to speak with you(We were ''surrounded'' with Gunnar's platoon, AKA ''the bandits''.
Ironic, but yesterday, we attended my Uncles funeral..he was a Marine, serviving in the late 50's & early 60's....a Military funeral. but without the 21 gun salute......My father, a Korean War Vet, said it's becomming the trend here, as most of the Legion Posts don't have enough YOUNG members, who can take time off from their job, to do firing squad duty.....while i found this sad, i was also ''relieved'' at the cemetary....i don't handle the ''salute",very well, yet....
Please, remind ''the travelers", to allow some time, for a stroll, thru the museum, while they are there!
I also await a future visit, to Ft. Riley, and pray i'll still have a "surrogate" child, stationed there!(I do, at the present time, so, there's hope!
BTW...one year ago, today, we were strolling on those very same cobblestones, in AMBERG...checking out all the little shops, in a huge search, for a teapot, for my mother-in-law!
I do hope you found the cute little tea shop in Amberg? Glad you got to spend some time with the Bandits . . . and of course to explore a cute little German town! You are right, the weather was a little crazy that day but sunshine in June in Germany is always welcome.
Take Care!
Don't forget your civilian friends! I would be happy to help any of your family members and escort them for you. Genie
Post a Comment
<< Home