Monday, January 14, 2008

taking a chance

I often get emails from people who knew Sean at some point in his life. I always love to hear how people knew him. Of course it makes me sad that most of the time these emails come as a result of them learning Sean was killed in Iraq. Regardless, it always warms my heart that Sean met many people in his 32 years of life . . . still can't believe he was only 32 and I am about to be 34. Anyway, as I said I have never met many of these people but always welcome the thought. I am a shy, reserved person and always nervous about these types of encounters.

Last year, I got an email from a friend of his that he attended an Army school with before we moved to Germany. He went to Georgia and I went to Texas before the big move. This school was in summer of 2000 and his friend did not hear about Sean until 2006. It happens with the way the Army moves you from place to place but no matter where you might see these people again you always pick up where you left off . . . I miss this about the military life. This time it wasn't that way. Instead Vincent was met with news of Sean's death just days before he himself was heading to Iraq. He finally emailed me last year after seeing the story I wrote in the book, The Blog of War. His email was simple but very heartfelt. He too was in Iraq and wanted to meet us when he got home. I wasn't sure but finally decided, why not. See I have really grown the last three years and feel comfortable with the idea now. Well, it happened this past weekend. He and Veronica were heading south on I-35 and going to pass right by our town. I invited them to exit and stop by for a bit. I admit that I was super nervous; what would we talk about; would it be weird? They have a son a little older than Colin. Colin loved having a boy around to play trains and trucks. In the midst of trying to entertain the boys we were able to talk and visit a little. I had a very nice time! All nervousness was out the window and I was totally comfortable with them being at our home. I saw myself in Veronica and listening to Vincent tell a story about Sean was nice too. I hope to meet up with them again . . . they are headed to Italy so will have to invite myself over sometime in the next two years! If you two are reading this, thanks for taking a chance . . . it was fun and comforting too! It has taught me to always be willing to take a chance . . . you just never know!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, am an Iraq war widow, having lost my husband on Valentine's Day of last year. I so enjoy reading your blogs and can relate to many of them, especially this one. God bless you and Colin.

1/14/2008 3:49 PM  
Blogger The Mrs. said...

Good for you for being open to the vist. Glad to hear it went well. : ) God speed to Sean's friend during his time in Iraq.

1/15/2008 2:40 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog about our homecoming video.

I had to pause for a min and catch my breat when I started reading your blog. Even though it has been a few years, I still wanted to say how sorry I am about Sean. I feel like words aren't adequate enough to express that. I don't take it for granted at all that my husband is home...I know there are soooooo so many who aren't and that pains me.

Thank you, and Sean, for the sacrifies made serving our country.

1/15/2008 8:29 PM  
Blogger LL said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog. I just sat for 10 minutes reading some of your posts- and then I started crying when I read about Colin's 4th birthday. As if staring intently at my computer screen wasn't enough of a sign to my professor that I wasn't paying attention in class, I now had tears running down my face!

Happy late birthday to your little boy, and all strength to you!

1/17/2008 2:37 PM  
Blogger MQ said...

As you are all too well aware, you represent so many spouses and the stories we'll never hear, the details about life after death, the milestones, the decisions that seem so innocuous to us, but are mountains for you. Thank you for sharing them.

1/17/2008 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home