Wednesday, February 11, 2009

not happy

Okay, so it is late and I just got an email from someone I know who also lost her husband in Iraq. And let me tell you I am not too happy . . . now I don't comment much about political issues because some opinions should be private. She sent me the link to this news article . . . and let me tell you I am not very happy about this . . . NOT ONE BIT. There are so many things wrong with even considering making this change that I don't know where to begin. Until you have had to experience this type of loss you just don't truly understand . . . and it is total crap about how journalist are going to protect the families privacy. I think I might have to write Secretary Gates a letter . . . he even attended Sean's funeral when he was at A&M. I am just so disappointed that this has become an issue. I understand that they are not individually identified in the pictures but it should be a very private moment . . . and heck the families were not even allowed at Dover when our loved ones returned so why should the media get to experience being there when they come home. Okay, I am going to stop before my blood pressure goes crazy . . .

UPDATE: I did send my thoughts to Obama and still searching for how to send them to Gates . . . anyone know his email address? I have read tons of comments on other blogs and news print so feel better about my opinions.

12 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Heidi, I have never commented but I have been following your blog for the last few months. My husband and I also watched this on the news the other night. He was present at many of these ceremonies in Baghdad as part of the Air Force. It should definitely be a choice of the loved ones. Each person has a right to their privacy. Although, I know America has NO idea at how much honor and respect is given at these ceremonies. Better yet, America does not have a good understanding of how much honor and respect is involved in the military or what it is like for your loved one to pay this sacrifice (myself included).

2/11/2009 8:59 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Heidi, I 100% support you on this...I just don't understand the need to see these images. I can see these images being used not to honor the fallen but to spread propaganda. If the American people truly want to honor the fallen they can do as I do, go to the DOD Press Release Pages every day, read the names and say a prayer for each of them and their families. There are some things that should be kept private.

2/11/2009 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too think this is an awful thing to allow. I believe that some things should remain private. The media does not have to be a part of everything! Unfortunately though I think that the media will win out on this one because this administration is in the journalist pocket. But this is the change the majority voted for so we have no choice in the matter really do we? I hope that I am proved to be wrong on this.

2/11/2009 12:12 PM  
Blogger keri said...

Heidi - I think you should write to Gates. He should step back and really consider what he's rethinking.

2/11/2009 4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing to me that this ultimate sacrifice of a family would not be allowed the privacy of grieving without the paparrazi. That is what I consider any photographer who wants to intrude at such a terrible time. We owe respect. They are not interested in showing respect. I wonder if some of them were allowed to view one of the ceremonies with no camera in hand if they would change their point of view.

2/11/2009 6:53 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

Heidi,
I thought of you when I heard about this on the news the other day. I think you should write the letter, if nothing else, at least you'll know you tried and your voice was heard.

2/11/2009 9:59 PM  
Blogger vanilla143 said...

Heidi,
As Brandy above said... I thought of you when I heard this on the news the other day.
I think that you and people in your same situation are the best ones to let their feelings be heard. I can write but when they see your name I think it will carry a lot more weight than just random people.
Further I think that the media is just looking to show "gore" because it is what gets ratings.
God Bless

2/12/2009 8:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I recommend Sis B's post on this for you to read. I think she did a nice job, and I hope you don't mind that I quoted you in her comments section.

2/12/2009 1:32 PM  
Blogger The Mrs. said...

good for you for writing! let your opinion and feelings be known!

2/14/2009 2:53 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Are you still looking for Gates' email?? Email me, I think I can get it for you.

luvmyredleg@excite.com

2/15/2009 9:58 AM  
Blogger Clandestine Pug™ said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2/22/2009 11:14 PM  
Blogger Clandestine Pug™ said...

Hi Heidi: SecDef Robert M. Gates' contact info is as follows: Room 3E880, 1000 Defense Pentagon, Arlington, VA 20301-1000. His direct phone is (703) 692-7100. You might want to give the Undersecretary of Policy, Mr. Eric Edelman, a call too. He is located in Room 3E806 at (703) 697-7200. I hope that helps. Keep practicing democracy and hang in there. :-)

2/22/2009 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home