Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day

Huuummm, not sure what to say about today. I will celebrate my Papa today but I won't feel like it. My mind will be on Colin and him not having his father here to honor. Sean never got to spend a Father's Day with him . . . pure sadness. While Colin doesn't get it this year, someday he will . . . sooner or later when his teacher has him make a card at school for his daddy he will start asking questions. I can imagine him telling his teacher that he doesn't have a daddy or telling his teacher that his mommy says she is his mommy and daddy. You know kids they say exactly what they hear us say! We will go to College Station one day this week to visit the cemetery where Colin will have to spend every Father's Day but that is okay. Someday he will honor Sean and be proud of him too . . . so I looked high and low for a poem for our situation and found nothing . . . I thought Hallmark made a card for every occasion.

I wish
I could be with you
to celebrate this special day
to tell you in person
just how much you mean to me
and how lucky I feel
to have you for my dad.
But even though we're apart,
you'll still be very much
in my heart today
because, as always,
I'll be thinking of you
with warmth and pride
and a whole lot of love!



9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be thinking of you and Colin today. I am sure that today is going to be a very hard day for a long time. Make the most out of it by celebrating with your dad. Colin can celebrate that he has a Grandpa who loves him very much.

6/18/2006 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So often I read this blog and wish there was something that I could do or say to make things easier for you.
You are a brave brave woman. I know Sean is as proud of you as the rest of America is.
You and your family are constantly in my prayers.
GODstxgirl

6/18/2006 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless!! U are a true inspiration!!

6/18/2006 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I blocked out Father's Day until church this morning when they said to greet a father. I thought of Terry, and my new friends who are now mothers AND fathers as you said. Happy Father's Day anyway, to Sean..and all our soldiers on earth and in heaven.

6/18/2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Colin is lucky to have such a wonderful mother.
Thinking of you...

6/18/2006 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, we're thinking of you, Colin and Sean.

6/18/2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger Household6 said...

I hope Colin spent time hanging with his cool Grandpa. Although its not the same as having him there, you have so many stories to tell Colin about what a Cool Dad Sean was.

Bless you both!
HH6

6/19/2006 4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know both of you will cope, but i know it is not easy.. i am sorry for loss. sean will always be on both of your minds

6/20/2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger MajorDad said...

Heidi...

I hope you catch this comment, even though it's posted months later.

While I know that it's going to be tough for Colin to understand it now, I hope that he eventually comes to believe that his Dad is always watching over him...and that he'll never miss a baseball game, an awards ceremony, a birthday, a wedding day or the birth of a grandchild of Colin's.

I know that the day I heard of my grandmother's death, we were slotted to play softball as part of the unit's organization day. My flight out gave me the time to play at least in one of the elimination games. As I played, I came to the realization that this was the first time in nearly 30 years that my grandmother was watching me on the diamond. I played horribly...but I can imagine her smiling and nudging the other angels telling them that was her grandson...the one that graduated from West Point.

I'm sure that Sean's doing plenty of that as he watches over you both.

Take care of yourself...and Colin. Sean's in good hands.

See you on the high ground.

MajorDad1984

7/23/2006 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home