Monday, January 28, 2008

kiddie conversations

Last night as we were in bed . . .
H: You know Colin you are starting a new school on Friday. You will have new friends to play with, and learn new thing, and they are going to be asking you all about yourself. So let's practice a few things.
C: Okay
H: What is your name?
C: Colin Sims Patrick
H: No, you are Colin Patrick Sims
C: Oh, Colin Patrick Sims
H: How old are you?
C: This many . . . FOUR
H: Great, what is your mom's name?
C: Heidi, Heidi Sims
H: And what is your dad's name?
C: Sean
H: Do you have any brothers?
C: No
H: Sisters?
C: Yes
H: No you don't but where do you live?
C: With you at our home; you silly mommy
H: And where does Daddy live?
C: In heaven with the stars and moon
Not expecting much in the terms of answers I decided to probe a little more
H: And do you know how Daddy got to heaven?
C: Yes, that man shoot him and he die
complete and pure silence from me
C: I don't want daddy to die
H: I know honey . . . totally change the subject
Now I have never, never ever ever said one single word to him about what happened to his father except that he died and lives in heaven. Huuummm, now this little boy seems to know more than I ever imagined or has just made it up. I have always thought that I was 'lucky' that Colin was so young when Sean died but now I am beginning to wonder. And by the word 'lucky' I mean I only had to deal with my grief and shock that comes with this sort of news and not have to explain it to a child . . . I mean it was more than I could grasp and a child, man that would have been tough. Not sure what to think about this new insight but guess I will just see where it goes in the future.

Just now . . .
C: I want that!
H: Oh, okay maybe for you birthday.
C: No, I want it for my sister.
H: Honey, you do not have any sisters
C: Yes, I do.
H: Okay, what are their names?
C: Luca-Buca and Louis
H: Okay we will seen

Luca-Buca is his new cousin minus the Buca . . . and Louis is a friend that we just met.

Oh kids they sure know how to put a smile on your face and make the bigger issues in life seem like a grain of rice.

5 Comments:

Blogger MQ said...

Wow. It's so hard to hear such major statements come from such tiny mouths. Wow.

1/28/2008 5:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ya'll are both just great
& ya'll are both going to be fine :)

love & prayers!

1/28/2008 10:58 PM  
Blogger C said...

I am always amazed by the insight of young kids. I know what you mean about being "lucky" he was so young. I wish I could offer you more advice on what and when to tell Colin. I still struggle with how much to tell Cheyenne. She still knows very little. She has been hearing Jason talk about trying to get deployed and it has really been weighing heavily on her mind. I can only imagine the questions and fears it will bring up.

1/29/2008 9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often read your blog, but never leave a comment. But this time I wanted to tell you I know how it is. My son was 4 when my husband passed away and it amazed me just how much he knew. About 2 months after he passed we were in the car on the way to dinner and my son said "your heart is broken because daddy died" He was right, but a 4 year old shouldn't know what a broken heart is. He's 6 now and he can tell you all about heaven even though him and I have never talked about it. I know what a struggle it can be. Good luck.

1/29/2008 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun tomorrow to the both of you!!! Another amazing adventure for the two of you......

love and prayers, too

Val
I've lurked far too long. I've always been amazed by your grace & strength and love reading you!!!

1/30/2008 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home