book below
I picked this book up while Colin was entertaining himself with the trains at Barnes and Noble. There were two other boys there who were not sharing and when their parents told them it was time to leave all hell broke loose. I mean really bad and the parents just blew it off and did very little . . . Colin's eyes were huge and I was embarrassed for the parents. I mean if my child acts like that I pick him up and get to the car as fast as I can . . . then I sometimes cry in frustration. I wanted to pat myself on the back because at least (not yet anyway) Colin doesn't do that. When they left I sat in the one chair and picked up the book they were reading. Obviously they were not using it but I read the back and it had this checklist . . .
-Are you tired of repeating everything four times to get you children to listen?
-Do you give in to your children to stop the whining?
-Does your baby-sitter give you a discount for coming home early?
-Do you ever feel guilty or embarrassed because your children won't behave?
-Do you and your spouse argue about discipline?
-When you punish your children, do you feel punished yourself?
Well needless to say I answered yes to more than I care to admit so I bought the book . . . nice birthday present to myself since it was on my day we went to the book store. I loved the one about he babysitter and wish I could find one!
So what is this book?
How to BEHAVE So Your CHILDREN Will, Too! by Sal Severe, Ph.D.
I would love to hear what others think of the book.
-Are you tired of repeating everything four times to get you children to listen?
-Do you give in to your children to stop the whining?
-Does your baby-sitter give you a discount for coming home early?
-Do you ever feel guilty or embarrassed because your children won't behave?
-Do you and your spouse argue about discipline?
-When you punish your children, do you feel punished yourself?
Well needless to say I answered yes to more than I care to admit so I bought the book . . . nice birthday present to myself since it was on my day we went to the book store. I loved the one about he babysitter and wish I could find one!
So what is this book?
How to BEHAVE So Your CHILDREN Will, Too! by Sal Severe, Ph.D.
I would love to hear what others think of the book.

4 Comments:
I got this book as a gift when L was little. I didn't ever make it all the way through, but now that A is becoming more 'princess' and less 'angel' perhaps I should give it a go again!
I'm glad you've found something that is working for you!
If it makes you feel better Heidi, I answered yes to about half of those too. Parenting is hard!! Good for you for learning how to do it better :)
I just picked up the book "Scream-Free Parenting" at the PX, so far it's pretty interesting!
That is a GREAT book!!! GREAT book. It's hard to follow when emotions get the best of you, but it is awesome. So many times I hear my kids give me this "heavy sigh" thing- and then, in my frustration, I hear MYSELF doing the same damn thing as I reply to them! hahaha... I need to re-read that book.
Post a Comment
<< Home