Face-to-Face
I never go out with friends but Saturday night I had the chance to have dinner with the person who got me started doing this blog. Yes, Sarah was at Fort Hood for a spouse conference . . . if you are a military spouse you might want to check it out. I was so excited . . . I had it marked on my calendar weeks ago . . . we made plans for me to pick her up after her meetings . . . did a quick drive through Fort Hood and then off for some Tex-Mex . . . I should have been better prepared about a good Mexican Food restaurant because we couldn't find one!
The strange thing about blogging is ‘meeting’ bloggers from all over. There is some sort of mystery as to who these people really are but you feel you know them since you read about their lives. Most of the blogs I read are people that I already knew in Germany and they just started blogging but there are total strangers out there. I never expected to meet them, but before we set out for dinner I meet a couple . . . it was a weird feeling but so nice to put faces to names and stories . . . Army Wife Toddler Mom was so sweet and next time she has to join us for dinner!
Dinner was fun! I miss having friends and just enjoying hanging out with people my age. It has become easier for me to discuss the military even though I miss being a part of that life. I am out of the loop but that is okay. Sarah and I never really knew each other before Sean died. We had common friends and were at dinners (don't you miss Freihung Fridays) but never really ‘knew’ each other. The weird thing is that our friendship has evolved and grown out of a tragic event. I feel complete comfort and ease when we are talking . . . almost like we have known each other for a long time. The time seemed to pass so quickly . . . where did those 5 hours go? Thanks for thinking of me . . . if you are ever in my area again, we will do it again! They always say that good things come from bad events and I know this is one good thing. Sorry, not photo because in all the excitement I left my camera.
The strange thing about blogging is ‘meeting’ bloggers from all over. There is some sort of mystery as to who these people really are but you feel you know them since you read about their lives. Most of the blogs I read are people that I already knew in Germany and they just started blogging but there are total strangers out there. I never expected to meet them, but before we set out for dinner I meet a couple . . . it was a weird feeling but so nice to put faces to names and stories . . . Army Wife Toddler Mom was so sweet and next time she has to join us for dinner!
Dinner was fun! I miss having friends and just enjoying hanging out with people my age. It has become easier for me to discuss the military even though I miss being a part of that life. I am out of the loop but that is okay. Sarah and I never really knew each other before Sean died. We had common friends and were at dinners (don't you miss Freihung Fridays) but never really ‘knew’ each other. The weird thing is that our friendship has evolved and grown out of a tragic event. I feel complete comfort and ease when we are talking . . . almost like we have known each other for a long time. The time seemed to pass so quickly . . . where did those 5 hours go? Thanks for thinking of me . . . if you are ever in my area again, we will do it again! They always say that good things come from bad events and I know this is one good thing. Sorry, not photo because in all the excitement I left my camera.

4 Comments:
The pleasure was all mine I assure you!! I will be sure to contact you if I am ever in the Fort Hood area again!!
Perhaps the next time I can meet little man.
I am so glad you and Sarah had time to meet for dinner. I will go the next time!!
I noted in the paper today, that the 4th ID is trying to raise more money for the memorial...
I noticed when I got back to the hotel room that my camera was still un-used in my purse. Sigh.
I too felt very comfortable talking to you this time. You know that this has been hard for me in the past. I think many of us readers deal with "survivor's guilt" with you, and we sometimes don't know what to say because we don't want to hurt you. Or we build you up into a saint, as I have :) But I really enjoyed our open and frank talk this weekend, and I didn't feel like I held anything back or hesitated to ask you a question about your feelings. I'm so glad we're at this point. And I wish we lived closer so that we could do it more often and you could have a friend nearby who has finally "gotten over" hang-ups about being together.
And I wish we could've had five more hours! Maybe I can end up at Hood someday...
Speaking of face to face...I saw a woman at the commissary today who I swear, looked just like you! I seriously was staring so hard at her it's a good thing I was in my car or she would have thought I was a looney. Her son even looked like Colin, but he was a bit too young I think so I finally shook myself from the stare and looked away. But I thought, wow, it would be nice to meet her one day...:) I'm glad you had a good time at your conference too. I think about stopping blogging all the time now that Terry is home. I guess the reason for writing it is gone, but I think of how much I would miss my blogging buddies.
Yeah glad you got to have dinner with Sarah and meet AWTM! I think with her sense of humor I'd be laughing the whole time if I ever ran into AWTM.
Sounds like you had a great time.
Post a Comment
<< Home